Tobold's Blog
Saturday, January 20, 2024
 
Palworld

Staying on the subject of unfinished early access games, let's talk about Palworld, released yesterday in early access on both Steam and Game Pass. This is a weird one. Apparently it sold over 1 million copies on the first day. My start with the game was extremely rocky: I saw it played a lot on Twitch, it looked very interesting, so I bought it on Steam. 1 hour later I refunded it on Steam, due to the game giving me video game motion sickness. Then one of my favorite streamers on Twitch played the game, I mentioned my problem, and luckily the streamer knew of the problem and which graphics settings would fix it. And I found out that it was available on Game Pass, so I didn't buy the game again on Steam, but tried on the Game Pass version whether I could play without motion sickness when turning off camera shaking, motion blur, and maximizing field of view. Now I'm 6 hours into the game, and I have no more motion sickness problems. But I would still hesitate to recommend the game, unless you value novelty over good execution.

The media describe Palworlds as "Pokemon with guns". Which is a pretty bad description. Because at the heart of things, Palworlds is a survival crafting game, in the vein of Valheim or Ark: Survival. With Pokemon. A few of which might carry a gun, eventually. Have you ever built a base in Valheim or a similar game in single-player mode and then felt that the place felt empty and lifeless? Have you ever played a Pokemon game and thought that you didn't get to interact much with your Pokemon, other than sending them out into battle? Palworld takes these two problems and solves them by combining the two genres: The Pokemon, called "pals" in this game, are placed in the base, and will work there. Which means your base is full of activity, from the cat mining rocks to the elk logging trees to the elephant watering your crops. And you can feed your pals, pet them, assign them to specific workstations, or call them all together to repel the occasional invasion. And all of this works pretty well, and is a lot of fun. With pals needing different skills for example to plant crops, water them, and then harvest them, you will need to go out not only to "collect them all", but to find specific types for specific tasks in your base. Other pals aren't that good at working, but are good at combat, and you can have them help you there. And yes, there is one little pal you can get early on who will sit on your head and fire an Uzi from there, while the player is still in the spear and bow era of technology. You need to fight wild pals to weaken them before you throw a sphere (pokeball) at them to catch them. And sometimes you just need to kill wild pals for their loot.

As the developers didn't want to limit stealing ideas from Nintendo to Pokemons, they also lifted the complete open world movement system from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Which is great, because there are too many open world games in which you can neither climb nor fly. With the movement possibilities comes the design philosophy: You not only *can* climb any mountain, you actually *want* to, because you might find a treasure chest or a rare egg there. Exploration is a lot of fun, because besides treasure and eggs you are always on the lookout for pals you don't have yet. And there are a few rare collectible resources, from journal entries giving a bit of lore to effigies that serve to upgrade your catching ability after you killed the first boss.

While I like the look and a lot of the design decisions, I am not really happy with the technical state of the game. Especially on Game Pass, which is apparently one patch behind the Steam version. The Game Pass version for example currently has no way to quit the game. You can quit to the title screen, but you can't get back to the desktop from there other than with ALT-F4. I was also extremely disappointed when I found a dungeon, but then found it mostly empty, and the few monsters inside tended to get stuck in the walls and obstacles. The UI is often somewhat clunky, it took me forever to find out how to destroy stuff that I had built. In some places there is an "en_Text" placeholder for the English language text (and that gets a lot worse for other languages). In short, when they labeled this game "early access", they weren't lying. The hope is that the huge pile of money they just made will allow them to improve the game quickly.

Comments:
I don't know I've seen gameplay of this game and don't really understand the hype. I guess I need something more from survival games besides progressing just for the sake of being able to progress more. Once Human had a similar issue where after playing that game for a while I got bored because the story was nonsensical and the gameplay loop of crafting stuff just to be able to craft more stuff is just boring to me.

What watching Palworld has shown me though is that Game Freak could really be doing so much more with Pokemon and there is clearly a large market for this type of game. Palworld might grab me in a few years when it's more finished and has some sort of goal or story besides just generic survival stuff but for now I'm not going to bother playing it.
 
I have no thoughts on Palworld, other than it looks interesting and fun, but in re Bigeye's comment, I'd just like to say it seems a bit unfair to pick Once Human out of the pack for having a story that doesn't make sense. I thought it made at least as much sense as almost any other MMO story I've ever seen, although I realise that's a low bar...

Then again, I generally don't need much more from a survival game than progressing for the sake of being able to progress more, either, so I guess my baseline for satisfaction in these things is pretty... erm... basic!
 
I read about this since a player discovered that you can treat human NPCs the same way as pals. So of course someone's going to get all into the slavery aspect of that. I ignored it after that. However, I decided to look up some gameplay after you wrote about it. Looks like it could be fun. I like survival games but I do get bored with just surviving so the idea of either creating my own pal empire or riding the world of pal smugglers sounds like it could give me some more longer term goals. For $27 I figured why not.
 
I'm not much of a fan of the survival genre, but I like the art style and PVE games, so I have Palworld on my wishlist. But I'm unlikely to put money or time on it until more dev time has been put into it. Hopefully, the developers invest their earnings into improving the game, instead of running away with the millions of dollars they just earned.

And I didn't know video game motion sickness was common in third-person games such as this. I thought it was mostly a first-person game issue.
 
Video game motion sickness is worse in first-person games than in third-person games. But in Palworld the third-person camera is really close to the avatar, and the field of view is relatively narrow.
 
Palworld really has taken off! New online concurrent record today of 2,030,659 players on Steam alone. That places it at rank #2 for games with the highest peak player count in the history of Steam! (PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS is #1 if you're wondering).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool