Tobold's Blog
Thursday, October 03, 2024
 
Spiel Essen 2024

I just came back from the Spiel in Essen, the world's largest board game convention. On the positive side, I managed to buy one of the hottest games of the year before it is available in retail: Arcs. On the negative side the convention was unusually full this year. Normally, going on the Thursday means visiting on the most quiet day of the convention, and being able to buy some games early and at good prices. This year the starting Thursday of the convention fell on a German public holiday and the convention was packed to capacity. Tickets were sold out, but fortunately I had bought mine early. But the convention space was so crowded that I didn't see as many games as in previous years, and bought even less. Most of the convention shops had long queues all day, and I saw one game I wanted to have already sold out at noon.

Our experience last year was that when arriving with a car an hour before the convention opened, it was very hard to still find a parking space anywhere. So this year we came in the afternoon of the day before and stayed at a hotel, which wasn't cheap due to the 200,000 visitors of the convention driving up the prices during that period. That turned out to be a lot more relaxing, and very easy for the parking. I hope that if I book a hotel even earlier for next year, I'll be able to get a better price, and stay two nights. We did the convention this time with only a lunch break, but were exhausted by mid-afternoon and left. If I had a hotel room booked for two nights, I could take more breaks for comfort and spread out my visit over two days. I hope it won't be that full next year, because the huge crowd made it very hard to interact with the exhibitors and get some explanation of games.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool