Thursday, July 30, 2026
The Lord of Nothing
I finished the Through the Ashes DLC for Wrath of the Righteous, and started playing the next DLC, The Lord of Nothing. And I was able to import my whole party from the former DLC into the latter, with all their gear, xp, and levels untouched, and a direct story continuation. A bit further in the DLC I picked up a mandatory new group member, and thus had to kick out one of my three mercenaries, but other than that I was able to keep my group from one DLC to the next, which was nice.
In many aspects The Lord of Nothing is more pleasant to play than Through the Ashes. While Through the Ashes was an attempt to make a survival RPG, The Lord of Nothing is a lot closer to classic heroic fantasy. I am gaining levels quickly, and loot is plentiful. Furthermore playing level 5 to 11 is more fun to me than playing levels 1 to 5, because characters have more options, spells and powers. In my personal opinion both D&D and Pathfinder are actually best around levels 5 to 10, and get a bit silly at higher levels, especially the spellcasters.
Having said that, Through the Ashes was somewhat original as a story of non-hero "civilians" fighting for survival during a catastrophe. The Lord of Nothing has a far less original story, which is actually rather stereotypical: You need to collect a set of shards, and each shard is in a different location, held by a different boss mob. Conveniently, teleportation portals open always to just the place where you need to go next. And while your characters are still weaker than the characters of the main game, due to having fewer points for attributes at creation, and no mythic powers, they are a lot stronger than they were in the previous DLC. They have much better gear, and they gain shard powers instead of mythic powers.
In summary, The Lord of Nothing plays very much like a classic D&D/Pathfinder game. I read that if you play the DLC at high difficulty, it adds some content to the main game, but I am playing on medium difficulty, so I get nothing. You can't import characters from the DLC into the main game, and you probably wouldn't want to, due to them being weaker. The DLC isn't particularly long, around 15 hours if you do everything, same length as Through the Ashes. At full $12.99 price per DLC I would have wondered whether these DLCs are worth it, but I only paid $12 for *all* Wrath of the Righteous DLCs together in the "Game of the Year Edition" bundle during a sale, so I can't complain about the price. In the end the two DLCs were an opportunity to try out some different character classes than I have in the main game, and were fun enough.
