Thursday, September 03, 2026
I'm cheating in Star Wars Zero Company
I frequently cheat in video games. I am pretty much exclusively playing single-player games, so whatever I do, and whether I call it a cheat or a mod, affects nobody but me. I've been playing video games since the 80s, and I know myself and games well enough to know what I like and don't like. And thus I mod / cheat in order to make games more fun for me.
I rarely use extreme cheats like god mode. Games with zero challenge are often not much fun. I only consider god mode cheats if either the game is far too hard for me, e.g. Elden Ring. In some games, e.g. Valheim, I played most of the game normally, and then used god mode cheats for the boss fights, which are a considerable difficulty spike, and are about combat, while the reason I am playing the game is the resource management and building part. I'm not interested in the combat part, I don't enjoy the challenge of action combat, and so I use cheats to just skip that unenjoyable for me part of the game.
Most of the time, I only use cheats to tinker with minor parts of the game. The latest example is Star Wars Zero Company. That is generally a great game. But the base management and black market part of the game is a lot less fun than it could be, because you simply don't earn enough credits, and can't really do much about it. That is just my opinion, of course, but lots of other players think the same. Fortunately it is just a minor problem, that a cheat can easily solve. I'm using Wand/WeMod to simply add a nice stack of money like 10k or 20k credits at the start of the campaign. That way I can actually use the black market to buy stuff, without having to forego base upgrades whenever I want to buy a weapon mod or utility.
Obviously you can't cheat without affecting the difficulty. I'm playing Star Wars Zero Company on hard, and as I now can afford both base upgrades and some black market purchases at the same time makes that easier for me than for somebody who plays the game on hard without cheats. But I never see these single-player games as a competition, even if there are Steam achievements or something. If Star Wars Zero Company had a better economic system, where I could actually manage my credits better, I would do that. But as credits mostly arrive as mission rewards you have very little control over, the credit constraint isn't much fun to me, and so I decided to alleviate it.
Comments:
<< Home
Newer› ‹Older
I would think that a resource constraint might be there to force an "interesting decision" (per Sid Meyer) by choosing between base upgrade and new mod?
It is most certainly meant that way. But the execution is flawed. For example there are base upgrades that allow you to take more weapon mods or utility items on missions. If you can either not afford that upgrade, or afford that upgrade but not the weapon mod or utility item, the outcome is that you don't get the benefit either way.
Post a Comment
<< Home

