Tobold's Blog
Monday, September 28, 2026
 
Should I buy Transport Fever 3?

In 2006 I posted a review of Sid Meier's Railroads on this blog. As far a I remember, I haven't played that many transport-centric games since. Which is curious, because I kind of like trains as a theme, I like management / economy simulation games, and I prefer games that make you think hard to games that make you react fast. Now I am considering buying Transport Fever 3, which comes out tomorrow. But one of the reasons I am considering buying this game has nothing to do with the game or the genre. Let me explain, for which I will need to start somewhere completely different.

Since my retirement, one of the things I am doing a lot of every day is watching YouTube. I am watching more YouTube than I am watching Twitch, Netflix, and TV together. So what I am hearing a lot from various YouTube content creators is "please, support me on Patreon" or "please, support me with a paid channel membership". At one point, a few years ago, I had several such channel subscriptions running on YouTube and Twitch. However, it quickly turned out that I was switching between too many channels too often. Subscribing to many channels is expensive, and even something small like $5 per month is a lot if you then watch that channel only a few hours that month. So I stopped subscribing to individual channels.

On the other hand, I didn't want to be a complete freeloader. The solution I found was YouTube Premium, something I considered a win-win: I get ad-free YouTube, while the content creators get around 5 times more revenue from me than they would get from a non-premium viewer. Also the money is distributed as a function of how many hours I am watching what, which both seems very fair, and rewards long-form content better than advertising revenue does. As I do watch 6-hour videos from NeverKnowsBest sometimes, or long actual play videos from various creators, I do like to encourage long-form content.

But there is another business model on YouTube that I also like: Affiliate links. If I am watching videos of some content creator about some game, and that video makes me want to buy that game, I might as well use the affiliate link that will give that creator a small commission. Steam doesn't offer affiliate links, but various online shops that sell Steam keys do. Which means that by using that affiliate link I support a content creator I like *and* frequently get the game slightly cheaper than I would have gotten it on Steam directly.

Which gets us back to Transport Fever 3. I have been watching content from German streamer Steinwallen a lot, for example his long and still ongoing Europa Universalis V playthrough as Scotland. And recently he started playing Transport Fever 3 (he gets advanced access to Paradox games), and that looks quite interesting to me. So I'll watch a few more of his videos about that game, but then I am seriously considering to use his affiliate link to buy a Steam key for that game tomorrow.

Comments:
I pre-ordered. I enjoyed Transport Fever 2, but there were some design decisions which were annoying. These seem to have been fixed in TF 3, particularly through the introduction of warehouses. It's a fun game and has enough depth to allow you to get as nerdy as you wish.
 
I would if I were you. It sounds like something you would enjoy and you'd be supporting someone how has added value to you.
 
If you like train games I recommend Railway Empire 1 and 2. I played them both a lot. Really good games.
 
I loved the original Railroad Tycoon, but no other train game ever really hit the spot with me since.
 
Transport fever 2 was quite good, but only with the mod that streamline production chains to consumer goods and industrial goods. That really made each map a bit of a puzzle as well as a sim
 
I really enjoy watching others play the same games I am playing. I say buy the game if you enjoy the videos. I have a question though from one YouTube addict to another. How do you avoid getting sucked into mindlessly scrolling low effort drivel and shorts?
 
I told Youtube to not propose shorts to me. And when I see AI slop I immediately mark it as “not interested”.
 
I can't find the setting to block shorts entirely but I did find a setting that sends me a nagging message if I watch shorts for more than a set period of time. Is that the setting you mean or is there another one?
 
You can’t turn them pff completely. But on the top right of where the shorts are displayed on the home screen, you can click on 3 dots and select “show less”.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool