Tobold's Blog
Friday, October 02, 2026
 
Transport Fever 3 first impressions

So I bought Transport Fever 3 with that affiliate link, and haven't regretted it. TF3 is a fun economic management game. It is somewhat similar to city builders, but slightly less complex, as you don't build houses or industries; you just connect them with roads, rails, or ships. Then if your transport network brings passengers and required goods to the towns on the map, they will grow. That makes them want more advanced goods, the industries for those spring up, and you can do even more transport connecting.

Transport Fever 3 is running well on my PC. I have heard of some performance issues with larger maps in the later part of the game, but I'm still playing on a beginner-friendly small map and am still in the early days. The graphics are pretty enough, and I found the user interface quite good. Laying roads and tracks usually works as intended. You need to watch out sometimes, e.g. when building a bridge over a river you might need to fiddle with the "bend" setting, otherwise the bridge will be too low to let ships go under it. But generally I found the controls intuitive. I encountered one bug during the tutorial, where the building I was told to build wasn't in the menu; I was able to fix that by saving and reloading, but bugs that make the tutorial get stuck are not a good look.

My main complaint (and the main complaint of many people), is that Transport Fever 3 does a good job of making cities and transport vehicles look appropriate for the historic era, but fails to do so for the industries. So you start in 1900 and have 21st century oil platforms with a helipad, while you are using steamboats and horse carriages to transport that oil to a 21st century oil refinery. That is a bit immersion breaking. Other complaints from TF2 veterans are that this is a $50 game that isn't that much of an upgrade to Transport Fever 2 with all the existing mods, but as I haven't played TF2, that isn't relevant to me. Transport Fever 3 also has new game mechanics over TF2, to make the game more accessible. The subsidies, contracts to connect specific things, are a nice idea, but are probably not well balanced. In a game, where you start with zero money and have to take a $3 million loan to get started, getting $10 million as a reward for sending some workers to a factory seems excessive.

At least the subsidies help a lot to get quickly from relying mostly on horse carriages overland to building train lines. Train lines are expensive to set up, but as you are being paid per unit of good or passenger delivered, trains with their much greater capacity end up being very profitable. As I previously mentioned, I quite like trains, so building a mostly train-based transport empire is fine by me. The part I am least sure about in TF3 is the management of noise and pollution. After some experimentation, I am now usually building bus/tram stations instead of relying on simple bus stops on the street. Bus stops on the street tend to lead to traffic jams. But then the stations produce noise and pollution, dragging the growth of my cities down. So do all sorts of warehouses, train stations, harbors, and the like. That all makes it pretty difficult to place things that a city needs, but then complains about.

Overall Transport Fever 3 is a nice, permanent puzzle of logistics and optimization. It is a lot less complex than other Paradox games, e.g. Europa Universalis V, but a lot deeper than many simpler management games, e.g. Ale Abbey (which I played recently without writing about it). I am playing Transport Fever 3 on normal difficulty. I think I could handle higher difficulties, but that would mostly involve a lot more waiting time, as you let your income slowly accumulate to save for the next big investment. Playing on normal is a lot faster.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool