Tobold's Blog
Friday, September 10, 2004
 
World of Warcraft News

WoW-ni.com has a series of articles written about the stress test, in case you aren't tired enough of reading my ramblings already. :)

Latest news on World of Warcraft is that the tradeskill system is going to be completely changed. Skill points will disappear, but you will be limited to two major tradeskills. Which is in effect *one* major tradeskill pair, like mining/blacksmithing, or herbalism/alchemy. The minor tradeskills of fishing, cooking, and first aid can be learned in addition to that. Good idea, because otherwise nobody would have taken those. Especially first aid is not a real tradeskill, it just provides non-healers with another form of healing. As you can't use the bandages made with first aid if you don't have the first aid skill, you can't produce something for sale.

The big advantage of this change is, that previously your level was closely related to your skill points, so unless you had a high enough level you couldn't advance very far in your favorite tradeskill. That was especially annoying when the best items you were able to produce were of lower level than yourself, and not useful to you. With the new system you can at least try to keep your tradeskill up to a level where you can equip yourself with good items.

I already mentioned that the rest bonus system makes it a good idea to play several characters, instead of just power-leveling one. The limitation in tradeskills makes "alts" even more useful, as you can cover a range of tradeskills with your characters, and exchange wares via the nice mailbox system. Only disadvantage: Passing items from one character to another only works between characters on the same side, Horde or Alliance. So I will have to decide on which side I will make all, or at least most, of my characters.

There are only two character classes that are limited by side, paladin (Alliance only) and shaman (Horde only). And as I like the paladin much better than the shaman, I think I will play Alliance. As the orc/troll starting area was the one I liked the least, I think I can live with that decision. If I'm missing the Horde side too much, I can still make another Tauren shaman, who would then have to live without twinking and without being integrated in a tradeskill network.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool