Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, October 11, 2005
 
Teamspeak

The French guild I'm in uses Teamspeak voice chat to communicate in groups. So Saturday I bought a headset with microphone, and yesterday I finally got it working correctly. Setting up a microphone in Windows is not a trivial task, it isn't exactly plug-n-play. The Teamspeak program itself is well done, and works without problems. It is rather the sound card with its drivers and the mixer that is hard to set up.

So my new rogue went on a guild group to Wailing Caverns, using Teamspeak. I can see how that is attractive to people who don't like typing. But personally I'm not convinced. The headset was pressing on my ears, so after a couple of hours of wearing it they hurt. And worst of all, my wife doesn't like me using the headset, she feels locked out somehow. So I don't think I'll be using this system much. Maybe a switch-activated desktop microphone would be better.
Comments:
Cheap head phones hurt... good cushioned ones do not. But the good ones cost a bit more.
 
This is why I will never use voice chat stuff and why my guild doesn't require it even for MC. My girlfriend can handle me playing for long periods of time, so long as I can talk to her, if I suddenly became buried in headphones and talking into a mic while she is trying to watch TV the aggro would be unbearable.

Plus I think it's a crutch for doing raid content and am happy my guild doesn't rely on it.
 
I found the same problem (discomfort) with headphones. My solution is to plug in only the microphone plug, leaving the headphone jack unplugged. That way the sound comes out the normal speakers, mixed with WoW sounds. I wear the whole thing around my neck so that the earpieces hang around my shoulders, but the mic is angled up close to my mouth.
 
Teamspeak has always been great for me!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool