Tobold's Blog
Thursday, October 13, 2005
 
WoW Patch v1.8

I was on a business trip all of Wednesday, so I downloaded the v1.8 WoW patch only today, and haven't had the chance to see anything of it yet. But according to the patch notes there isn't anything world-shaking in there.

I do like their new approach to Alterac Valley battleground, starting it with 20 people instead of 30, and not letting more Alliance than Horde into it. I have to see how the other changes of that battleground work out in practice.

I couldn't care less about the new epic dragons. I find monsters on the world map which need a raid group to kill rather stupid. That only leads to problems if different guilds want to kill the mob at the same time.

Silithus I will have to check out, can't say yet if the changes there are good or bad. I'm a bit sceptic of their idea to create ways for solo players to achieve epic items by quests. Either the quest is easy enough that a casual solo player is actually able to do it in a reasonable time, and then you get an epic item mudflation. Or the quest is as difficult as the reward is epic, and then a casual player needs many weeks to grind something to achieve it. I hope they have gone for the mudflation version.

The changes to weapons are minor, and good in my opinion. I never liked the idea of rogues going for slow, heavy weapons and then using some sort of weapon switch macro for abilities that need a dagger. My rogue has a very nice level 20 blue dagger, received from a guild mate, and I don't plan to use swords in my main hand, only for the off-hand.

Druids got reviewed and are able to respec. But just by reading the patch notes the changes seemed minor to me. Long time I haven't played a druid, so I might be mistaken here.

All in all the v1.8 patch came very quickly after the v1.7 patch, but adds a lot less new content. Obviously I much prefer patches that add new dungeons and stuff. I still have to check out Silithus, but I had the impression that the amount of new content with this patch was limited.
Comments:
In spite of the word verification somebody was able to put a spam comment on this post. I hope I've been successful in deleteing it.
 
Alterac Valley was an epic inflation that went crazy... PvE content that is measurable, clear, and has a set end and begining for an epic item would not cause any inflation because Blizzard can dictate how long it takes the player. Easy win AV matches and easy win AB matches are throwing out so many epics it is sick... but its not the casual gamers that are getting them. Its every hardcore nancy that can live in the battlegrounds.

The Silithus content... putting it in a PvP zone is a dynamic way to promote out of BG PvP. Sadly the quests are the same... nothing epic really that I've noticed. Kill XX and get XX and speak to XX. Same shit different day.

Overall patch has kept me interested... plenty of my ideas were implemented :)

Now to get some PvP rank now that it is possible to gain without living in the BGs :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool