Tobold's Blog
Monday, November 07, 2005
 
Digging a hole with a lightsaber

Gamergod has news on the SWG revamp revamp. Yeah, thats right, the recently revamped SWG is undergoing major changes *again*. And if I say major, I mean *MAJOR*, completely changing the way how classes, xp, and combat works.

Now everybody knows that SWG is in a hole. But it seems that SOE isn't aware of the first rule of holes being to stop digging. If you completely change the way your game works every year, you drive away all of your old customers. And your chances to attract new customers with an old game are slim. The much better solution would be to create a sequel, SWG2, and gain lots of new customers.

Would I play a game which had the quality and accessibility of WoW, but played in the Star Wars universe? You bet I would! But no amount of tweaking, major or not, is going to turn the old SWG into such a game. There simply isn't enough of a game in SWG, and patching one in seems pretty much impossible to me. You can't turn a "world" MMORPG into a "game" MMORPG with a patch. Better use your license to make two Star Wars MMORPGs, one a game, the other a world sandbox.
Comments:
I guess they must feel it's a viable thing to do. I didn't like the game much tbh, and I'm always suspicious that these kind of changes are knee jerk reactions to the competition such as WoW and more recently City of Villains (which don't have "turn based" combat ;) ).

It won't tempt me back to it thanks. But hell, if it's profitable and works then fair play to them. Guess I can't really judge being a non-subsciber.
 
Since you don't have trackbacks, I thought it would be polite to mention that I referenced this post in

http://endie.net/cs/blogs/endie/archive/2005/11/09/swg_psychodrama.aspx

K
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool