Tobold's Blog
Monday, November 07, 2005
 
Now playing ... what?

I finished Paper Mario : The Thousand-Year Door this weekend, after 40 hours of gameplay. Brilliant game, lots of fun, but zero replay value. You can't restart the game with a different character or play in a different way, there is only a linear story from beginning to end, a few side-quests, and that is it. Paper Mario also made me think about accessibility of games: I found it easy enough, but there are some jump-and-run sequences which require you to press the right buttons at exactly the right time, and even in combat you can deal more damage and receive less if you time a button press just right. So my wife (who is still happily playing WoW) just had a look and decided it wasn't the game for her. She simply will not play any twitchy game at all, because they make her too nervous. And I guess there are many people out there who don't play certain games because they just don't have the reflexes and manual skills with a controller for it. Even me, after 25 years of gaming, can't play first-person-shooters or racing games, they are simply too fast for me. I just hope game companies take the growing average age of their customers into account.

Then while looking what to play next after Paper Mario, I stumbled upon another nice example for lack of accessibility: X3 Reunion. This *should* be the game for me, having space trade as a major component. But when I install it and start the game, I look for a tutorial, and find none. You have to read the thick manual which badly explains the many, many buttons and keys which control your ship. If you haven't played X2, getting into X3 is hard. Not really a game accessible for the casual gamer.

So I put the project of playing X3 on ice until I have the time to occupy myself with it with the necessary attention. Amazon wrote me that my copy of Civ4 is in the mail, and that game A) has a tutorial, and B) I played all the prequels and know pretty much what it is about. I hope to find it in my mailbox this evening or tomorrow. I have no idea how long Civ4 will occupy me, given that I already spent so much time playing the different Civilization games (including Call to Power and Alpha Centauri). But it is a great classic that is always worth to get back to for some time, and it being dragged into the age of modern computer graphics could help.

It is not that I'm lacking games, I still have a couple of games which are still in their cellophane wrapping, or which I just tested shortly and didn't find the time for. Plus I downloaded a couple of game demos from Fileplanet, to avoid buying even more games I end up not playing (which then justifies the annual fee for Fileplanet). But deciding between games isn't always easy. Sometimes you just need to be in the right mood for a certain game or genre of games. The game which would be perfect for a relaxed holiday is not necessarily the game which you want to play in the evening after coming home from work.
Comments:
I also am a gamer for many years and wonder when the "twitch" games will pass me by? Besides WOW and many strategy games, i also enjoy Madden and Winning Eleven (both football games depending on your geographical location) These games obviously depend on my hand skills, which people tell me will deteriate with time. I am only 39 so i have a few years to go (i hope). One thing that has already affected me is first person shooters. Not because of the "twitch" skills required, but that they now cause me absolute nausea. I don’t know if this is due to age or the ramp up in graphics? I used to be able to play Duke Nukem 3d, Quake 2, and Unreal 2 for hours. I have twice tried to play Half - Life 2 only to have to quite because i want to puke. age? 3rd person perspective has no effects though.

Been playing Civ4 for about a week. Some nice new features and the graphics look really nice. You will lose a few nights sleep before you realize, same old game.

enjoy

Grog
 
I think I generalized a bit too much with the term "twitch". I'm 40, just a year older than you, and I haven't noticed any deterioration of existing skills. That is in a jump-and-run game, which I basically played since Manic Miner in 1984, I can still run and press the jump button at the right moment to get over the gap. The problem is acquiring new twitchy skills: First person shooters never interested me much, and now if I try to target something in a FPS it takes forever, and I get shot before I manage. Same problem with racing games, didn't play them much, and if I try a demo of one of them my car crashes soon. I never learned the necessary skills, and with age I find learning new skills more difficult.

So maybe the future is in sequels, where the targeted audience already knows how to play them, and accessible game where controlling them is easy enough, like World of Warcraft.

First person view nausea is a well-known phenomenon. I first had that with Ultima Underground. Strangely I don't get that nausea with every game, and in some I can turn off some "head bobbing" option and avoid it.
 
As someone who played X2 quite a bit, X3 was still pretty initimidating simply due to the amount of stuff going on in the -- completely new -- HUD.

I have difficulty imagining how mind-boggling it must be for a neophyte to be thrown right in right off the bat like that.

The manual is a lot better than the X2 manual I will give it that. Unfortunately the simulator sessions are also much less useful to the newbie as well.

After several days of X3 play I've worked my way up to owning a couple of Universe traders, a BoFu factory and associated freighters to supply it, which are all busy earning me credits.

Whilst my traders are trading and my factory is manufacturing, I fly the Split Mamba I'm using as survey vessel from sector to sector dropping navigation satellite, scouting asteroid mineral yields, and taking out the odd Pirate or Kha'ak Cluster. I'm also, as my funds allow, steadily refitting a captured Pirate Nova, and am saving up for a Soja Farm to place at a location I have my eye on in Paranid space.

...so I think I'm starting to get somewhere. Maybe at some point I will get back to plot I put on hiatus just after finishing mission two :)

It's definately, outside of combat, a game of slow patience just like the previous one.
 
lol I wonder if it is cost effectyive to turn chinese gold farmers into blog spammers?
 
Fortunately I'm able to delete blog spammer comments. Seems that Blogger's word verification scheme doesn't do much to prevent them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool