Tobold's Blog
Monday, December 19, 2005
 
Lag and computer specs

For years I believed that if a MMORPG was showing lots of lag, the reason was a slow connection or an overloaded server. Since I played WoW on different computers, I know that the specs of your computer play a big role as well. I'm currently at my parent's house for christmas, I'm playing WoW on the laptop, and lag in the big cities like Ironforge is considerably worse on the laptop than it is on my home gaming PC. Number of players around you plays a big role, but the limiting factor is not the server capacity or internet speed, but your RAM or the speed of your graphics card.

Well, the good news is that outside of the cities the lag isn't really noticeable, not even on the laptop, and so I can play if I want. This year I installed wireless ADSL at my parents place, because they didn't want to string cables all through the house, and so my laptop is automatically connected here. I like WiFi.

When I'm not using my laptop to play, I use him as DVD-player. I bought the complete first season of CSI on DVD, and I like watching those very much.
Comments:
I notice a rather suprising difference when I upgraded my hard drives. Faster drives = faster gaming. My laptop came with a rather slow drive, like 4400 RPM, I upgraded to 7200 RPM drive and wow! Same thing when I went to SATA on my desktop.
 
I could see how a faster hard drive would help with WoW, especially in areas like IF/Org, due to the way it loads everything on the fly. Whenever I get close to the auction house or the bank, my system freezes up and the hard drive thrashes like mad as it loads everybody's equipment models/textures into memory to be displayed. This despite the fact that I have a ton of RAM and a fairly fast video card. Time to start thinking about upgrading to SATA, I guess. :(
 
I just finished building my gaming rig...

I haven't played WoW yet, but games like CoD2 and Battlefield 2... OMFG the difference is insane.

I can hop on a fast moving ATV in BF2 and there is no choppiness as I cruise at top speed.

No more tweaking graphic settings... just max everything out and it runs like a champ.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool