Tobold's Blog
Friday, May 26, 2006
 
Pickup group lottery

In the last two weeks or so I went to Scholomance with a pickup group 5 times. In 4 of these 5 cases we either abandoned before reaching the first boss, Rattlegore, or directly after that fight. Yesterday was the 5th attempt, and we totally cleared out Scholomance, killing every boss including Jandice and Kirtonos (in the correct order to get me 2 quests done). I felt as if I had won the pickup group lottery.

But of course it wasn't a *real* pickup group. While technically we had 5 different guild tags, I came because I knew the guy organizing it, and he knew the other players in the group as well. A network of online friends is as good, if not better, than a guild for forming groups.

The third quest I got done in Scholomance was Dawn's Gambit. I don't know if I did it wrong, or if there is a random factor. But when I placed the item that was supposed to destroy all undead in the room, it only turned the students into skeletons, which swarmed us en masse and wiped us. I think staying outside the room while placing the item might have been a good idea. :) Or the "with a little luck the item will destroy all undead" part in the quest description was meant literally, and we just didn't have a little luck. Anyway, the reward is a *very* nice staff, Dancing Sliver. But I was a bit sad that I lost the roll for the Skullsmoke Pants, because they are very rare, and I don't think you can kill Vectus without having the Dawn's Gambit quest.
Comments:
Stay out side the room (or in the entrance). Then have your lock/mage AoE them. I've done this a couple of times, fun fun fun. I was lucky enough to get the Skullsmoke Pants too :)
 
If you talk to the quest giver again, you can get more of the "Dawn's Gambit" that you need to kill Vectus, so you can do it as many times as you like. It's pretty easy if you start in a corner.
 
Yeah all it does is turn the students from elite caster mobs into low-hp skellies. As has been said just stay in the doorway and use AOE, the Stratholme Holy Water also works well.
 
I agree 100% on your online network of friends comment. I have a group of 3-4 people now on my Friends list that I've now gone through ST, and Mara without issue. No nonsense, no complaining about loot, just good fun. Glad it worked out for you on your 5th attempt.
 
Note from Thottbot: "If you dont get it (the pants) first time you have to abandon the quest and go back to LHC and pick it up again to get a new Dawn's Gambit. Since you only have a 5% chance to get the item, you may have to do this quite a few times. Its a huge pain in the ass.
 
I tried it out, and it is *not* necessary to abandon the quest. I already finished the quest, but I still get the option to ask the same quest giver for a Dawn's Gambit item for "experimentation". So now I always carry one with me, and will try on every Scholo run that gets that far.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool