Tobold's Blog
Sunday, June 18, 2006
 
Getting rich from fishing

I made level 16 with my priest on the new server. And as always on a new server, where money is tight, I came up with a crazy get-rich-quick scheme. But strangely this time it actually worked, and I'm probably the only level 16 running around with nearly 5 gold pieces in the pocket. And the secret is fishing in Stranglethorn.

The original idea was to skill up fishing to 150, participate in the Sunday's Stranglethorn fishing contest, lose, and hand in the Tastyfish at 23 silver per stack of 5 to the apprentice angler quest. But I started early, and swam around the coast of Stranglethorn to find good fishing spots, where a level 16 wouldn't be eaten. And there I found lots of "Floating Wreckage", which you can fish in and find iron and mithril trunks, containing all sorts of goodies. The highlight were a level 38 green leather pants, and a level 40 green mail coif. But I also got everything from bolts of silk to bolts of runecloth, heavy to rugged leather, and a bunch of healing and mana potions up to level 35. I vendored the greens (the stats weren't that good, and there isn't a market for level 40 items on the server yet), as well as the bolts of runecloth and rugged leather. That plus the money from the fishing event made me over 4 gold, so I'm feeling rather rich for my level.

Fishing at level 16 in Stranglethorn is exciting. :) Worst are the crocodiles and naga, who swim out to kill you. The dinosaurs and basilisks can't swim, so they might prevent you from standing at the shore to fish, but at least they don't kill you. But there are a surprising number of places where you can fish without aggroeing anything. And as the fishing rewards are obviously made for level 40 characters, they are extremely good for a level 16. So that gives me an unusual and dangerous activity, with a huge reward. What more can you want from a game?
Comments:
Tobold, you find ingenious ways to play this game, like using the Pally's Bubble and a few Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch to solo Elite Mobs a couple of levels higher than you.

And now fishing in STV at lvl 16.
Risky, but very rewarding.

This is why I love reading your Blog :)
 
I applaud your creativeness. People like you are very good at makeing the best out of every situations. You are always able to keep WoW interesting with your new ideas. It's really cool and like the previous poster said, also why I enjoy reading your blog.

-Wargik
 
I cant believe you sold lvl 40 green mail coif, just because there no market for it?! how much you gold do you think the first lvl 40 hunter would pay for that hat to wear?

you coulda stuck it in your bank and just waited, woulda got alot more than 5gold imo, and plenty more than what ever the vendor gave ya.

And on new servrs hunters are usually the first batch of high levels, proly have 5-10 lvl 40 hunters after just 1 week.
 
Well, the mail coif had bonuses for strength and spirit, which I found a particular bad combination for hunters. I wouldn't have thought that anybody would pay 5 gold for a mail hat with bad stats. Most people at 40 are saving up for their first mount.

The problem with selling high-level items at low level is that putting the item up on the auction house costs quite a large amount of advance fee, which is lost if the item doesn't sell. As the auction period is limited to 24 hours, that risk is very real. In the end it comes down to "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
 
heh I did almost the exact same thing, except at a little higher level. I ended up swimming around the horn at the bottom of STV to the east side, and using light feathers levitated so I could fish out on the ocean without aggroing the pirates on the shore. Loads of fun. It might be hard at 16 though since you use up a bunch of feathers since you have to re-levitate every 2 minutes.

those floating wreckage spots are the best.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool