Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
 
Beta schizophrenia

Do you play a MMORPG just for the adventure, the fun and experience of playing? Or do you play it for the character development, the virtual rewards? That question normally doesn't matter, because you get the fun and the reward at the same time. But by having copied my character to the beta test servers, I suddenly find myself in a situation where I have to chose one over the other.

Playing on the beta server is fun, because most of the things I see there are new and exciting. I'm not saying the the content of the Burning Crusade is better than that of the old World of Warcraft, but after over 2 years in the game I've seen pretty much everything in the old world. The BC beta gives me new zones, new dungeons, new loot, a new tradeskill to play around with, new mobs to fight, and many other new things. But whatever experience, levels, and skill I gain, whatever gear I acquire, will be gone when the Burning Crusade goes live and the beta closes down.

I told you how my priest on the beta server learned jewelcrafting, got a new staff, bound in Shattrath, and changed to shadow specialization. Last night my guild on the "real" server had an Onyxia raid scheduled, and as we are recently often short on healers, I logged on and helped out in that raid. And so I played the same priest without jewelcrafting, with his old staff, bound in Undercity, and still on holy specialization. I felt as if I suffered from a split personality, a clear case of beta schizophrenia.

This weekend my guild has several BWL raids scheduled, and I will try to participate in as many of them as I can. And over the coming weeks I will try to balance beta test playing with real server playing. If the Burning Crusade is really delayed until next year, I might even level up my shaman on the real server from currently 42 to 60. But more importantly I will keep playing with my guild, raiding several times per week. It doesn't matter if the only loot I get will be replaced by Burning Crusade loot shortly after the expansion comes out. It is the social aspects of playing together in a guild that is important. And if I level my shaman, or improve my priests mining skill, or get the third piece of Transcendence for the set bonus, those are rewards that I will be able to keep. I will certainly also level my beta priest a bit, just to get deeper into the Outlands, but if I spent all my time reaching level 70 fast, I'll just have to do it all over again when the beta ends.

Playing the same character in two incarnations on two servers will be a bit confusing, but I'll have to get used to it. I don't want to give up either of two.
Comments:
My main is a priest.

The spec I currently use for raiding, and I use a descriptive term I read somewhere else, makes me an invalid essentially. Stay in the back, try not to touch anything, we'll protect you, you just heal.

I can barely do anything on my own (solo quests are scarce to non-existant), and when I do it is painful (rep grinding of any kind). Or has to be done in small doses like my character is a child (and you'll never get anywhere at the rate I go).

It bothers me to no end when a rogue tells me its not that hard to farm (a rogue....telling a healing specced priest...its not hard to farm *rolls eyes*). Or I should just go run Scholo (i.e. heal some more - which I get tired of doing because I'm a raid healer). Or I should duo with someone, doesn't anyone get it, everyone - even in a MMORPG likes some solitude play time!

So the chance to respec shadow and go back to the days of 40-55 when I was self-sufficient - heck yes I'm taking it.

I haven't even gotten the chance to try out shadow with all the +dmg pieces I've managed to scrap together after getting all the +healing I needed for raids.

I have yet to cast a single shadow spell in beta and I'm already not looking forward to when I have to spec back holy at 70.

I guess that should tell me something huh?
 
There isn't a whole lot of different between the "Why do we Raid" article and the Beta schizophrenia dilemma.

I hate beta testing because everything you do as Tobold says, "will be gone when the Burning Crusade goes live". The only perk is getting a jump on everyone else on release day.

I still raid AQ and Naxx even though all the gear will be obsolete soon because it is still a challenge and the rewards/accomplishments are satisfying. Knowing that all questing, leveling, loot, and "discoveries" will be a waste due to the reset at the end of the beta completely destroys all incentive to even bother.
 
I raid as a shadow/disc spec'ed priest, and the only thing I truly miss is Holy Nova. I made sure to pick up +healing and +damage gear (often one and the same) with good stats to be sure to help me out without crippling me. I can solo adequately and heal decently in raids. Yes, I go through mana faster than my heal spec'ed partners, but I'm usually the last one standing, and still healing.

Efficient use of trinkets to reduce mana cost, abilities (inner focus for a free heal to start off with), a solid amount of mp/5 gear, and smart pot and agro management gives me an edge over just relying on Holy spec to save the day. Of course, the skilled Holy spec'ed healer will do even better than me, but I'll give him a run for his money :)
 
There is nothing I enjoy more than replaying the game. If I was a beta tester which I am not. I would love to go as far as I can then "do it for real" when BC goes live. Maybe its like thinking of playing wow like a sport, getting practice and getting better at it.

Playing on a new server is a wonderful feeling everyone starting from the same point, a mad dash to getting better tailoring bags, higer levels etc.

Ultimately 'knowledge is power' and that is what the beta-testers are gaining. This will be my first MMO expansion and We will all be lvl 70 and back to raiding far too quickly; so I want to enjoy the brief window of time where no one is lvl 70!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool