Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
 
PC hardware requirements

The speed in which PC hardware develops isn't constant. Two years ago or so we had reached a relatively slow phase, where processors didn't get much fasters because they had reached some physical limits, and graphics cards developed at a constant but modest pace. But then the pace picked up: On the CPU side the development of the Core 2 Duo and equivalent processors gave a big boost to processing speed. And by moving from AGP to PCIexpress the graphics cards developed at a breakneck speed as well.

Now for christmas 2006 there are a lot of games being released, like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which take advantage of all that added processing and graphics power. If you have the latest computer, with a Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM, and a 7900 generation Geforce, or X1900 Radeon, graphics card, these games deliver a graphical splendor like never before. If you happen to have a computer over 2 years old, with a single core processor without even hyperthreading, and still an AGP graphics card, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic will look really bad and run only choppy. Even on my Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX machine I bought last year, which wasn't cheap, the game won't be running well with all the graphics options turned on.

Now I didn't even plan to buy Dark Messiah, but that is just one game of many coming out, and lots of games that *do* interest me coming out in 2007 will have similar hardware requirements. No problem for me, I buy a new desktop every two years, and 2007 the next PC is due. But obviously not everybody can afford changing his PC that often, especially since the hardware required to run at full graphical splendor isn't the cheapest.

Which makes me wonder how much of the success of World of Warcraft is simply due to the fact that it runs on an older or cheaper computer. A friend of mine bought a PC last year just to play WoW on it (replacing a really ancient machine), but for just $1000 he got a machine that ran WoW perfectly. Everquest 2, which came out in the same month as WoW, and is the same genre, wouldn't run that well on the same computer. And next years Vanguard would probably just stutter on it.

And from all I hear about Vanguard, and see in screenshots, Vanguard is a perfect example of what is wrong in computer graphics these days: The polygon count and shader effects and whatever is high, the artistic value is low. You get landscapes where the water has a perfectly photorealistic surface, but the beach is totally bland and boring. Meanwhile on a beach in World of Warcraft you can't see every sand grain, but there are interesting ship wrecks, murloc villages, and beached dead marine dinosaurs.

Game developers need to spend less time on high-end graphics effects, and more time on making their landscapes and scenery artistically pleasing and interesting. Because artistic value isn't that dependant on hardware, and scales down better. If your game only looks good on the latest and most expensive hardware, you won't find many people wanting to buy it.
Comments:
I cannot agree with you more on this issue. Too many times developers try to push the graphics issue to the max to satisfy a relatively small segment of the gaming community. I'm not saying that pretty graphics should be secondary but let's take WOW and Diablo2 as examples. They did not push the envelop of graphics technology and still managed to be hugely popular.

Let's take a recent game, Titan's Quest as an example. It had all the elements of a great game (despite being a Diablo2 Clone) yet roughly 25% of its user base experienced huge graphic issues (me included).

Perhaps its because I play mostly strategy and RPG's only. FPS's seem to be the ones that push the graphics envelope, which is why its not a huge deal to me. And IMO, MMO's should not try to push the graphics envelop. Why? The way I figure it, we have enough problems with internet lag, who needs the added graphics lag from having several hundred people gathered together in the same place? Can you remember how bad the Ironforge lag was before Auction Houses were spread out? Imagine in a game like EQ2 having that kind of crowd gathering.
 
I think one of the factors in WoW's success is not only its tame computational requirements, but that it scales well with more computer power. I've played it on everything from a 4-year-old 512MB machine to a current 2GB 7800GTX machine, and the experience improved each time I upgraded. On the old machine, it was good enough to play (minus the 1-minute lags in Ironforge maybe), and I leveled my first character to 60 on it. These days, I find I need high-performance for raids and PvP.
 
The thing is having technologically advanced graphics isn't the same as having aesthetically good graphics. What is often forgotten in gaming media is that polygons and shaders are merely a means to an end, no more.
 
Look closely at any scene in WOW. There's depth and detail in anyplace, and from any angle.

Well, MC lacks detail! But there's alway depth and interesting features in WOW.
 
WoW never tried to be "real" (although the Blood Elf drama is going that direction), and that's a huge strength by being simple.

Everyone likes cartoons. It's really that simple.
 
Agreed. The Vanguard screenshots that I saw seemed to lack some imagination, but the game options are huge compared to WOW and that is why I am anxious to try it.

Now that I think about it, the first thing I noticed about WOW is how cartoony the game looked. I didn't really enjoy the graphics at first, but the interface was and still is very user friendly so I continue to enjoy the game.

Personally, I wouldn't care if the next MMO was cartoony like WOW as long as there are options: character creation options, crafting options, class options; all of these are what I look for in an MMO now that I got my feet wet with WOW.

Nice looking graphics are nice, but not essential to making an awesome game in my opinion.
 
I bought Sid Meier's Railroads! thinking it would be fun to put on my laptop when I travel. I have a fairly recent laptop. I bought it barely looking at the hardware requirements thinking "it's a railroad simulation how much can it need I'm sure I can turn the graphics down". But no you can't.

It's a railroad simulation, Sid Meier's games were never great because of the graphics, but Fraxis really let his fans down on this one. What a joke.
 
(oh i forgot i had wow installed on this same laptop)
 
A more abstract, simplified look of such a game is a winner, when done 100% right. Blizzar did it. But there is much more to it, than if a dwarf looks stumpy with 600 polygons or with 2000. Even the most complex character creation fails, if month later everyone looks alike, cause of the way their gear looks ingame.

WoW even suceeds in the way the gear looks. You can tell wich content a character is playing just by looking at them. This is pretty important and many games just fail here, in that maybe you have millionth of face details, but all the armor looks similar.

WoW's look artisticly is way more complex than a game wich is aiming for a photorealistic look. To integrate a tree into Vanguard you just have to take a look outside your window and copy. Creating a WoWish tree who seamlessly blands into the look of the game, takes more skill, even if it looks more simple.

Blizzard is very good in using colors. You can name a scenery just by its primary color. Take a WoW screenshot, walk away from the screen and you will still be able to recognize the majority of scenery. Rock in Vanguard looks like rock, no matter where, in WoW it does not. Those are subtle things most people won't recognize, but things wich have a huge impact on the game as a whole. When you have a scenery people can only label by looking into their maps, you failed in my opinion. Those things are way more important for a game in the long run, than to fill your zones with details and erase every little form of visual diversity.
 
On CoH's character generator - it is amazing. Once I couldn't stand the 40+ grind anymore, a group of friends and I would spend each night creating a new superhero with a bizarre background, and running around doing the newbie/lowbie quests (fun & fast), plus making general goofs of ourselves. Such greats as The Gunthak Grouper, Dollar-Fifty Man (the 7 million dollar man's lesser known cousin), and Oooga Booga were born in that time.

One strange thing I noticed when swinging back to CoH for the free weekend a few weeks back is the customization is now even greater. You can stretch your head/frame/forehead/nose/etc to your particular needs. That's new from release (I played a few months from release) and pretty cool. I also noticed, with a deep sigh, that there was a slider to adjust bust size on female characters. Really, was that needed? *boggle* My dental floss wearing, 2-hand sword swinging female tanker I made probably had some innate mez power...
 
The smallest bust size is still, er, respectable.

I'm a gal and I actually kinda appreciated the option. Hey, if you guys can make your shoulders broader, why not? *grin*'
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool