Tobold's Blog
Friday, December 08, 2006
 
Wiirobics

Reports are piling up about people having problems with the new Wii controller. The New York Times reports "Wii have a problem", about people who use the controller with so much enthusiasm that they let go of the controller. With the wrist strap apparently not very stable, the controller then flies through the room and destroys stuff, even skewered a TV. The Wii sports bowling game is most effected by that, letting go of the "bowling ball" at the end of the swing comes a bit too natural.

Meanwhile the Washington Post reports on the Wii elbow, and other Wii related injuries and pains. Perrin Kaplan, a spokeswoman from Nintendo, responded with the unusualy frank statement of "If people are finding themselves sore, they may need to exercise more." Since when are spokespeople allowed to tell the truth like that?

Now I already said that I probably won't buy a Wii, because I'm not interested in this sort of "Wiirobics" sports, and I'm not too impressed with the other Wii games out there. I'd love to play the new Zelda, but I'm not going to buy the console just for that. Me not buying one doesn't change my earlier perception that Wii is winning the console wars. Because of price, and because a lot more people understand bowling with a Wii controller than understand how to use a dual shock controller. Now we just have to teach them not to let go at the end of the swing. :)
Comments:
Its winning the console war because its fun and innovative :p price will certainly be a factor but not the only one. If that picture is indeed true, they deserve to have a whole in their TV, they must have used enough force to launch it into space ;)
 
Haven't had any controller mishaps yet but the crappy batteries that came with the controller died today. Of course no double A size batteries in the apartment.

Checked out the Wii Online store to see what games they were offering for download. Not a lot up so far but the prices seemed reasonable

NES games: 5$
SNES/SEGA Genesis/TurboGraphx: 8$
N64: 10$

The original Zelda and Sonic the Hedgehog were available.
 
The new Zelda game will apparently also be released on the Gamecube, for which I am extremely thankful :)

You'll notice that most of the people injuring themselves (or others) or breaking TVs and other items are teenagers, who we all know show considerable restraint while playing games and never get carried away. If you're going to swing the controller hard enough to throw a 90mph fast ball, make sure you hang on to it.

And that Nintendo Spokesperson is right, and I'm sure that came out in testing, too; people not used to physical exercise will hurt themselves if they play a lot during their first week of ownership.

The wife and I beat the crap out of each other (in the boxing game!) and played 4 or 5 games with three rounds per game. We were both sweating afterwards just as if we'd been to the gym.
 
I really don't care that the Wii is not much of a technical advancement from the game cube and seriously lacks the 360 or ps3 technology. The Wii just has fun and soul written all over it and its the only one of the 3 which I will buy. I have my PC for graphical WoW factor and indeed WoW.

My back hurts a bit mind after twisting a lot playing baseball :)
 
I also bought Wii, and we had a nice play session at my families house.

Everyone enjoyed to play Wii Sports ,including my 60 year old mom.

That's definitely a "for everyone" machine.

I will still consider a PS3 ,because of the graphical and home entertainment factor (Blu-Ray) etc.
 
I made my arms sore after a long session of Rayman Raving Rabbids - yes, I need to get fitter :P .

Zelda is out this week on GameCube. I'm really enjoying it on my Wii, and it isn't an energetic game to play like Sports or Rayman. In fact, because your hands are further apart than a normal console controller, I think its more comfortable and relaxing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool