Tobold's Blog
Friday, February 16, 2007
 
Giving meaning to meaningless virtual lives since 2003

Heartless has designed a slogan for this blog: "Tobold: Giving meaning to meaningless virtual lives since 2003". Not that I asked him to or needed one. But hey, it's a good opportunity to talk about the meaning of (virtual) life.

Lots of people are looking for a meaning in their virtual lives, and fail to find one. This is why you can find so many bitter veteran MMORPG players around. Other genres of videogames have fan sites, MMOGs mainly attract rant sites. The bitterness stems from the mistaken belief that a virtual life could be better than a real one, because it overcomes limitations of body, time, and space. This overlooks the fact that virtual worlds have even more limitations, and less possibilities, than the real world. Sure, a guy in a wheelchair can play WoW and run as fast as the other people there. But you can't climb a tree, or even a fence, in World of Warcraft, because that hasn't been programmed in.

Virtual worlds are no social utopias either. The players behind the characters are still as human as they are in the real world, and they rarely behave any better than in the real world. In fact they often behave worse, because they feel safer to do bad things shielded by internet anonymity and the impossibility to punch them in the face for what they said. Sartre's "Hell is other people" is very much true for virtual worlds.

The trick to find meaning in those meaningless virtual lives is to not be blinded by the mirages of great possibilities that don't really exist, but to take MMOGs as what they are: games. A form of entertainment. Leveling up to 70 and finding The Sword of a Thousand Truths in World of Warcraft has no deeper meaning whatsoever. But it *will* keep you entertained for hundreds, if not thousands of hours. Of course you could have used that time to do something much more meaningful. But face it, chances are that instead you would have watched TV or consumed some other form of modern entertainment. Which isn't likely to give any meaning to your life either.

What you should do is to accept that the meaning of life is still where it used to be: in caring for your family and doing a job that both puts bread on the table and gives you a certain fulfillment. Once you've done that, and there is still disposable time left over, you can relax. And what form of entertainment you chose in that free time isn't really important. For people who enjoy games and interactivity, a MMORPG is often a good choice. But if you prefer TV, books, movies, sports, long walks, or collecting stamps, all that is totally okay as well. Do whatever you enjoy in your free time, and don't look for a deeper meaning in it.
Comments:
Glad I inspired something. I didn't really intend that to be as mean spirited as it sounds, but oh well.
 
I'm in a wheel chair and I'm slightly offended by your comment about disabled-abled people. I say disabled-abled because even though I'm in a wheel chair doesn't mean I'm not abled-bodied. You say in an online game I can run as fast as anyone....well I'll have you know that although I can't run, I can keep pace with anyone in the physical world. I compete in many different disabled-abled competitions and my speed is known around the world.

So you are right that I can't "run", but I still keep up.
 
My guess is Tobold mentioned the wheelchair because of a story that circulated on the internet about a person in a wheel chair who express joy at being able to run with everyone else in World of Warcraft. I do not remember the details but it is quite possible this person was disabled in a way they could not "keep pace" in the physical world.
 
I've blogged since 2003 as well, yet I never looked at it that way.

I document what my characters are doing, because it's fun, makes the games more interesting, gives me something to refer back too after the game is gone, and helps me document how to play.

But the Sartre quote is spot on. This is the great paradox of MMO's. They are fun because of all the other people in there; and at the same time, most of them should just go get lost for all the lack of help, ingratitude, and irritation they cause me.
 
I would like Tobold to give a public apology and buy 8 crippled children wheel chairs. We demand reperations! Heathen!
 
Tobold, your point was made nicely in my opinon. You simply pointed out that people in virtual worlds are equal in every way, and despite having super human abilities like sheeping orcs, people still find themselves longing for something more; just like they do in real life.

One of my best friends comes from a VERY wealthy family and no matter how much money or toys they acquire, their family isn't happy. They are constantly bickering about meaningless dribble like who drank the last cup of OJ; the same goes for MMO guilds. The uber phat loot that comes from a raid may inspire short term happiness, but it isn't long before players are grumpy again because their virtual lives aren't what they hoped for.

I look at it this way: in a virtual world, I don't have to do anything unless I want to. There are no bosses, cops, or parents. It is just a fun place for me to do just that, have fun. Being able to climb tress and hit people with my stockpile of snowballs would be fun though :)
 
Sometimes I think people take themselves too seriously in games - chill out and have fun. Then other times I find myself taking it seriously. I feriously protective of my game time and gaming experience. It's the place I don't let other people give me crap or insist I do crap I don't wanna do. That's what real life is for - do the musts and suck up the shoulds.

In my virtual ones, I do as I flippin well please.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool