Tobold's Blog
Friday, February 16, 2007
 
WoW Journal - 16-February-2007

I hit level 69 last night with my priest, only 779k xp to go until 70. That made me think about "time to 70", at which point I realized that I had stupidly forgotten to write down how much /played time I had on the day the Burning Crusade came out. I know it took me over 13 days played on that priest to get from 1 to 60, but then I spent an unknown amount of time, around 20 days, at level 60. And now I can't say how much time I have /played from 60 to 70. Doh!

What I do know is that my usual playing sessions during the week are 3 to 4 hours, and during one of such sessions I usually make about a quarter of a level. That would make every level 12 to 16 hours long, and the total time played from 60 to 70 something between 5 and 7 days. Which would fit with my original estimate of 40% of the time from 1 to 60, although that estimate was based on a lot of false assumptions.

I did two runs to Steamvault, the level 70 5-man dungeon in Coilfang Reservoir, this week. Nice enough, and I got my Cenarion Expedition reputation up to revered. That got me the key to access Coilfang Reservoir dungeons at heroic difficulty, which is something I'd like to try. But I've read that to do that all 5 group members need the key, so it will be difficult to find a group. Revered with CE also gave me a design for a jewelcrafting trinket, but my skill is still stuck at 355, and I can't learn that design yet. Stupidly I would need several rare drop recipes (at 200+ gold each) and lots of rare blue gems (at 50+ gold each) to level up jewelcrafting. There don't seem to be any accessible level 350 recipe. I don't mind the recipes to be hard to get, but I wished there was a targeted way to get them. Kill this boss mob of that dungeon and get the recipe. But it doesn't work that way, the recipes are rare random world drops, and there is absolutely no way to "hunt" for them, except for camping the auction house.

Well, I'm planning to reach level 70 this weekend, and finally get my feet off the ground. It will be interesting to see Outland from above, and to be able to reach all the remote corners. More practically I think that flying is the only good way to gather ores, which I could then prospect to hopefully find some more rare gems and get my jewelcrafting up. I guess I'll need to buy some of those expensive rare recipes, the game is giving me no choice here.
Comments:
Hi Tobold,

My estimate for leveling time is that it is roughly equivalent to do the following: 1-40 (40 levels), 41-60 (20 levels), 61-70 (10 levels). That 50% number is pretty close to your 40% estimate.

As for jewelcrafting, I find that at 70, I am actually mining less. Because I am spending more time doing instances (with fewer ore nodes) and less time flying around and questing.

This is how I leveled jewelcrafting past 350. I first got one rare recipe from a guildmate. My second one came from a lucky drop. Since then I've camped the AH looking for any bids of rare recipes under 200g. Along the way, I bought out all the adamantite ore under 1g each (20g/stack). Each stack is good for 4 prospects. I averaged about 1 rare gem per 5 prospects, which means 25g of raw mats yielded a rare gem (40g) plus 5 uncommon gems (10g) plus 5 adamantite powder (5g). Then on the AH I sold all the rare gems I couldn't cut, and bidded/bought all the ones I could.

I would also check the AH to see who could cut the stones I didn't need. For example, I needed living rubies but had an excess of dawnstones. I saw on the AH a number of different cut dawnstones by the same person, so I whispered him and asked to trade dawnstones for living rubies. That got me a few.

On tradechat I often post: "WTB [Living Ruby] [Nightseye] 30g each" Occasionally I will get responses from people who don't know what they are, and are too lazy or scared to put them on the AH. (The deposit prices are significant, and they have no apparent use if you know nothing about jewelcrafting. There are a surprising number of 70's who fall into that category.)

From 350-365, I had an 80% skillup rate on the blue recipes. Once I hit 365, I got a pair of metagem recipes from reputation. Those recipes are orange at 365 and will carry me to 375. My original plan there was to have alchemist guildmates make me the raw metagems, but now I see that raw metagems sell on the AH for cheaper than the cost of mats.

One final note: I worked out the cost of making jewelry in the 350-365 skill range, and all of them were more costly, with less resale possibility. So I avoided them like the plague. Now I have a backlog of hundreds of adamantite powder waiting to be turned into mercurial adamantite and then jewelry. But I will wait on those until the recipes come more easily, and until guildmates need specific pieces of jewelry.
 
I bought out all the adamantite ore under 1g each (20g/stack).

The reason why I'm talking about mining more is that on my auction house a stack of adamantite sells for 50 to 60 gold, due to somebody buying up everything cheaper and reselling it at that higher price. As the prices for rare gems etc. are otherwise similar, buying adamantite and prospecting it isn't profitable on my server.

But good idea on the WTB shouts and on contacting jewelcrafters with other recipes to swap gems. I'll try that.
 
Hmmm I'll hafta check my AH for price gougers. I play a miner maxxed at 375. Just selling the bars of Fel Iron and Adamantite I get bank, Khorium I sell raw as it goes for more. I love the rare gem drops as they always get me 30-50g each. One bar away from 65 and I am less the 100g away from affording a Flying mount. Hell if I skip it by the time I reach 70 I can buy the epic.
 
On the level thing, I think you'll find it to go much faster on your warrior. You will avoid the whole wandering around trying to find the area you did the first time, even if you used alla/thott/wowhead.

I'm surprised that one month later I'm sitting at 68.75 and 66.5 on my characters. I'd fully expected to be no higher than 65 on one of them, with the other waiting in the wings. I'm glad that leveling continues to be fairly easy.

The crafting thing has issues all over. Tailoring for example had a great bridge item, heavy netherweave net at 325, which was an honored cenarion purchase (which you almost natually get to simply doing the zone's quests) was removed, thus for 325-340 you have a choice between two orange items, neither of which have much market (+40 stamina, +damage, but nothing else, and better pants are quested from Hellfire) to 340 when you get another 6 reciepes, most of which are useful for one aspect or another.

Cooking is the same. Right now, despite having every single reciepe available in outland, I have all grey reciepes, plus 1 orange - furious crawfish. And my skill is stuck at 368 or something like that. Bah, I say! =p
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool