Tobold's Blog
Thursday, March 22, 2007
 
Compared to a toothache ...

I went to the dentist yesterday evening, with a light toothache, and ended up getting two root canal treatments. Ouch! And if that wasn't unpleasant enough, I will have to go again several times, and get a new bridge capping the two teeth and the empty spot between them. This being considered as "cosmetic" by my health insurance, I have to pay about 80% of the cost of 2,000 Euro. Ouch, ouch, ouch! Not that I couldn't afford this, but at the end I'll just arrive at the same quality of life than before the toothache, and poorer. The only good thing is that it provided me with some insight on how cheap my hobbies are.

For example the total cost for LotRO, buying the game itself and a lifetime subscription, will be only 200 Euro. Compared to a toothache that is a lot more fun, and much cheaper. Even the unreasonable splurge on the top-notch computer I just ordered, when depreciated over its predicted lifetime of 4 years, is just 750 Euro per year.

Assuming you would buy a computer that runs World of Warcraft comfortably well for 1,000 dollar, buy one copy of WoW of $20, and subscribe for 4 years on the 6-months plan at $12.99, you end up paying just $400 per year for playing World of Warcraft. Well, add another $400 per year for the broadband internet connection if you consider that without WoW you wouldn't pay for internet. But even that is cheap compared to many other hobbies. And compared to a toothache ...
Comments:
I can see a typo in your caption. :P
 
Or you could pay 2000 Euros for the cost of a lifetime supply of toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss and save yourself a lot of time, pain, and money.
 
typo alert in my RSS feed :p
 
Just had to have a filling done which I was told might require a root canal in the future. Not looking forward to it but at least I lucked out and my dentist and her oral hygienists are all knockouts. Its like a modeling company all of sudden decided to branch out into dentistry.
 
I sometimes have tootaches as well, however they usually follow rather spicy food.
 
Spelling error fixed. I don't need a spell checker, I literally got *hundreds* of them. :)
 
Toothbrushing ftw!

Would you be so kind to explain this in a way that she understands it to my 2 Year old daughter? We have a daily fight over toothbrishing :D (atm. i have to sing silly songs to entertain her and open her mouth for the toothbrush)
 
If you posted this to the official forums, you'd get:

* 5 posts telling you not to QQ about repair costs
* 9 posts claiming that the repair costs on white items are too high
* 8 posts saying that dentists need to be nerfed
* 1 post asking what teethcrafting skill level this bridge enchantment requires, and who can make it on server XY

SCNR ;)
 
My girlfriend spends at least 20 pounds a week on horseriding lessons, and I could easily spend 30 pounds plus to go and see my local football team every week.

MMORGS are cheaper than any hobby I have had in the past.
 
Now you will have Teir three raiding teeth.

FTW>
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool