Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
 
What would you do with just one month to live

... your virtual life? While there are lots of stories about doctors telling people they only have X weeks to live, in real life I don't think doctors would be willing or able to give you any accurate estimate on how long you still have to live. But in virtual lives it is often easier to foresee the end: your subscription might be running out, or you know the release date of the next game you want to play. In my case I checked and double-checked, the date for the EUROPEAN pre-order access to Lord of the Rings Online is the 14th of April. (US players can already start playing a beta character from 30th of March, and take that one into the release version, albeit with a level cap of 15.) That gives me exactly one month to still play World of Warcraft. I'm not cancelling my subscription yet, better to have a back available in case the LotRO servers aren't stable on release. But in all likelyhood I'll start playing LotRO in a month, and if all goes well won't have much interest in WoW for some time. So what do I do in that month?

For me MMORPGs have always been about setting myself goals and going after them. That can be reaching a certain level, or skill level; doing all quests in some area; making a certain amount of gold for some purchase; or even beating a raid dungeon. There are short-term goals and long-term goals, and so having only a limited time available changes the equation. For example it appears obvious that in one month I won't reach Mount Hyjal, so activities that just serve to check off another case on the complicated Mount Hyjal attunement chart aren't top priority any more.

So right now my top priority is leveling up my warrior to 70. Not because I need him to be at 70, but because that way I can do all the quests in Nagrand, Blade's Edge, Shadowmoon Valley, and Netherstorm, which I didn't do with my priest. I'll get to know the zones I don't know all that well much better, and get the maximum of "content" out of my Burning Crusade purchase. Doing this in one month is perfectly feasible. And of course if I get bored by LotRO, or WoW comes out with the next expansion and I want to restart playing, having two level 70 characters gives me a good start for that.

Secondary goal is to do 5-man instances with my guild, whenever the opportunity presents itself. 5-man groups still are, and always have been, my favorite mode of gameplay in World of Warcraft. In fact, if I should find that LotRO dungeons aren't that good (I simply don't know that yet), it is perfectly possible that I'll play both games, switching to LotRO for soloing fun, while doing group activities in WoW. Again, having two level 70 characters would be ideal for that purpose.

What I am not going to do any more is trying to raid Karazhan, unless there is a situation where 9 people from my guild stand in front of the place and can't play unless I join. I'm simply chickening out on that one. Karazhan is very hard. I don't enjoy very hard. And I enjoy even less the guild drama developing from the fact that it's very hard, and not everybody is equally suited to go there. I'll leave it to the l33t, the kind of people who think they are superior human beings because they enjoy harder dungeons. It is one of the advantages of age that I don't need to succeed in a raid any more to keep up my self-esteem. The only difficulty will be resisting peer pressure in my guild. Some people think that raiding is awfully important, more important than having fun or playing together. But my priorities for what might be my last month of WoW lie elsewhere.
Comments:
Strangely enough, I agree with you more because of the fact that I love doing quests. :)

What sucks is that some quests force you to throw down the gauntlet and get smacked by Lady Vashj. :(
 
If I had only a month left in WoW, I think I'd go for a flying mount, even though at the rate I'm going it'll probably be more than a month before I get any kind of flying mount. >.<
 
Great - 10 mins ago I got news that I'm having surgery on the 13th of April (a Friday), then I log on here and see your headline.

Now all I need is a ladder, a black cat and a broken mirror.

WS
 
I don't know what I would do, but my advice to you for your last WoW month is to ...


... make a lot of gold and send it all to me!!! woot! :D

Seriously, I second the 'get the epic flying mount' suggestion. If you're going to go out, might as well be in style :)
 
Earn the gold to buy an epic flying mount and zoom, zoom, zoom!
 
I would have to second the epic riding mount suggestion made by others. If you are ever going to return to WOW for future expansions, something tells me that obtaining the epic mount will be a nice stepping stone to the next Cat/dog/gnome or whatever mount blizz will charge 20k for in the next expansion.

As for me, sadly my computer is toast so until I decide on a new one, my options are rather limited. I think I may keep my priest and rogue but gut all my other chars and send the loot to my friends. If I'm not going to use my G, at least someone will. :)
 
As another disgruntled priest turned sour by Blizzard, I have already cancelled my account. On the exact date that I cancelled, the account auto-renewed. So I had an extra month to play.

I barely logged in, because the fun has already been sapped away (no pun intended) by everything else. There is no motivation, no grand plan, nothing to work towards, because to me it will all be gone. So I just wait for the end.
 
Heh, and I'm yet another disgruntled, quitting priest with almost a full paid month. For me I just got sick of the same mechanics and the friends I was leveling to join are unhappy and quitting.

Tobold, I seem to remember that you didn't get too far with LOTRO. I have to admit that I found the combat relatively unresponsive and ultimely not fun, though I loved many other design features of the game. Still up in the air about it. Do try to get a character well into the double digits before you burn too many WoW bridges.

Regarding Kara, I think that the problem in some ways is really not Kara but SSC (though certainly Kara is too tough - the opinion of experienced raiders seems to be something on the order of AQ40).

If SSC were tuned at ZG/MC or even BWL level, with minimal attunement requirements, your whole guild would be in there right now having fun, probably have a couple of bosses down. Then even without retuning Kara would be a challenging endgame for ultra-small guilds, and a good place for the more hardcore in your guild to pick up some situationally useful epics on off-nights.

Even after the first pass of Blizzard's nerfs, though, SSC remains hard enough that your guild doesn't even seem to be thinking about skipping right into it as a viable option.
 
(And of course you have to finish it to get attuned. Right. Yet another example of mistakenly trying to stretch content for the hardcores at the cost of enjoyment for the semi-casual players.)
 
i would roll alliance
 
Eh, I'm too disaffected by WOW at the moment to set any goals, cries yet another disgruntled priest. Some of the TBC mechanics seem overtly made difficult to make the content last. Like the ungodly amount of expensive comps needed for TBC tailoring and enchants passed 350.

After leveling a character, completing all their professions and raid attunements was my fun mini-game. But this time, what's required, just seems insane and not in a fun way. So I guess if I had a month, I'd just watch the days go by popping on and off to say "hey" to a few people.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool