Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
 
Jewelcrafting as a cash cow

Getting my jewelcrafting up to 375 was hard and expensive. Buying random world drop recipes to be able to cut rare gems was even more expensive. But now that I got at least one recipe for every type of gem, jewelcrafting turns out to be a veritable cash cow. It involves some volatility of the random results, but on average the profits are great.

As example this week I bought 12 stacks of adamantite ore for 25 gold each, for a total of 300 gold. 12 stacks of ore means 48 uses of the prospecting skill, each destroying 5 ores, a quarter of a stack. But each prospecting gives one adamantite powder (worth between 50 silver and 1 gold), and on average 1 common gem, which after cutting I can easily sell for 4 gold. And on average every 6th prospecting gives a rare gem, which when cut sells easily for 50 gold. So out of my 300 gold investment I got 48 adamantite powder (ca. 30 gold), 50 common gems (200 gold), and 8 rare gems (400 gold), more than doubling my investment with very little work involved.

The only trick involved is to be patient, because prices often fluctuate wildly. If adamantite ore in the AH sells for much more than 25 gold, I don't buy. Although often I can get around that by buying on the Alliance AH instead, where the price evolution is independant from the Horde AH prices, and then transferring the ores via the neutral AH and my wife's account. Same holds true for selling, sometimes somebody floods the market with underpriced gems, and I just wait that out. By experimentation I found that 4 gold for common gems is a price where I usually sell the large majority of what I put on the AH, thus suffering no losses in AH fees. In cut rare gems my 50 gold price tag is rarely undercut, but again I'm going for low prices high volume, instead of pushing prices to the max and risking losing the advance AH fee.

Of course I did have setbacks, for example when one day I only got half of the rare gems that I would have expected. But even then I just came out even, without making a loss, with the common gems selling at least for enough to recover my investment. I was thinking of expanding my business, buying more rare random world drop recipes and thus being able to offer more different types of cut rare gems. But I bought my recipes over a long period whenever I could get them for between 150 gold and 250 gold. Meanwhile the prices for these recipes have gone up, and I rarely see any on offer below 400 to 500 gold. And there is always the chance that prices for ore will go up permanently and prices for gems down, destroying my profit margin. But for the moment I'm making good money with this tradeskill, which is unusual in WoW.
Comments:
Tobold! I am surprised at you. You are actually admitting to a bit of cross faction hanky panky. Is that not strictly forbidden by Blizards terms and conditions?
 
How could that possibly be forbidden? I'm on a non-PvP server, and I am perfectly allowed to have characters of both factions on the same server. Transferring stuff to yourself via a second account isn't forbidden either, for the simple reason that Blizzard *likes* people having several accounts. The opposite, two people sharing one account, which occurs a lot more frequently, is forbidden because it decreases Blizzards revenues.

I'm on a server with a real 2:1 Alliance to Horde player ratio. The market on the Alliance side is much more "liquid", being much better stocked, with lower prices, because it is harder to corner the market. Buying there instead of in the Horde AH is only logical. And there is nothing in the terms of service or EULA which would forbid that.
 
Of course, the alliance-horde hanky panky only applies to those who can afford two accounts.

Otherwise, we'd all have to grin and bear it... unless you have some tips for amateur JC tradespersons
 
You could use a trusted friend for that hanky panky, so actually RL money is not a stopping factor.
 
And the cross-faction part isn't essential. In the example from this week I didn't even use it and doubled my money. For somebody playing the more populous side on his server, it won't be necessary either. Only if you are stuck on a side with few players and thus little trade does it help to get your business moving.
 
Tobold, I had a guild leader who had two accounts banned for transfering goods from Alliance to Horde and vice-versa through the neutral AH. Blizzard called he was "manipulating the markets" or something. But if you don't abuse it, I guess they won't notice. ;)
 
Apologies Tobold my use of the term hanky panky was a feeble attempt at humour given that your cross faction co-conspirator in this case is your wife. I have certainly heard these stories of people who know people who have been banned for cross faction dealing but I can find no reference to it in either the EULA or Policies. I guess they could get you under the "abuse of game mechanics" policy but it could also be an urban legend.
 
Sadly, I can make way more gold selling my disenchanted materials than selling my service. Because my service cannot be sold on the AH.

Can you sell cut gems on the AH?

If so that only makes me more sullen about my choice of profession.
 
You can sell them on the AH, however last time I checked there is no call out for them, so you have to search by name. This really needs to be addressed.

Luckily, I use websites to plan my gem buys, or when I see someone with the !gem add on I spam them for a bit =)

Glad it's working out for you! I have two JC'er in my guild, and I mail them all the gems I get, and only rarely (6 times now out of 50+ gems?) have asked for one cut in return. Skilling them up helps them, plus in return when I get some rare gem I need, I now have a contact with the skill to do so. Like Royal Nightseye, my personal fav (so much good priest gear has red/blue).
 
Hi Tobold,

Things are different on my server. Adamantite ore is at least as cheap (typically 80s per) on Alliance, but the prices for cut gems are much lower (2g typical for uncommon, and 40g for rare). Also, I've had bad luck prospecting for rares lately, which makes me paranoid that they nerfed the rate. Also, I haven't been able to sell adamantite powder or mercurial adamantite, so that's just building up in my bank (I don't have any real good jewelry recipes at 375 skill yet).
 
Needless to say, don't get caught with excess inventory! A market that profitable will be very attractive to a lot of people, eventually, once they can get to 375.

On the cross-faction thing, the ToS doesn't even imply this is a problem. And, in fact, from a RP perspective it's perfectly logical. In every war -- hot or cold -- there have been smugglers!

One thing to be cautious of is that there are people who sit and scan the neutral AH to try to nab bargains in the instant between sell and buy.
 
The simple way to avoid the Goblin AH Snipers is to list your precious items with an above market value BuyOut price >:)

To transfer Gold back & forth just list a lvl 5 Green for the amount of gold you want transferred. Nobody in their right mind will pay 100g (or more) for a lvl 5 Green Dagger, except you ;)
 
Man, Jewelcrafting is a nightmare to level at times. The Mithril Filigree stage was so nice, but now I'm 215ish and I have no 'easy' recipes :/

Daostrasz'a Realm
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool