Tobold's Blog
Thursday, March 15, 2007
 
Zul'Gurub post-BC

I had the most fun evening in World of Warcraft since a while, joining a guild raid to Zul'Gurub. We were about 15 people, levels from 61 to 70, but with most players being 70, and we totally kicked ass in that place. Which wasn't really surprising, but it *is* fun.

When we look at our characters and see the numbers, how much health, mana, armor, etc. we have, and how many points of damage our attacks and spells do, or how much we heal, we are aware that we have become much stronger through the Burning Crusade expansion. The problem is that we often don't feel it. Killing a level 70 mob at level 70 isn't much easier than killing a level 60 mob at level 60. And if your guild moved from "farming" Molten Core and BWL to wiping in Karazhan, you can't help the feeling that you actually got weaker.

Visiting Zul'Gurub really let me feel how much stronger my character had become, and that was just the level 65 warrior. I survived two exploding bats, because I have so much more health now. Tanking boss mobs with a level 70 priest healing me was very easy. At the panther boss, where previously we often got swamped with panthers, our single mage just sneezed at them and they all dropped dead. There were a couple of boss special abilities that still hurt, and where we still needed to use the right tactics, like the tiger boss resurrecting his mates, or having to poison yourself for Hakkar. But mostly we were just reducing our strategy to blasting everything to smithens, and it worked. Not something you'd want to do every day, but nice and relaxing for one evening. Oh, and I dinged 66 in ZG, which was funny, because people don't usually level up in raid dungeons.

Of course we couldn't use much of the loot that dropped. There was some interest in the 18-slot bag the panther boss dropped, but the Will of Arlokk staff he also dropped just got sharded. Man, my priest ran around with that staff for many months and was so proud to have gotten it. One level 61 warrior still could use the 2H-sword that Hakkar dropped, but I had gotten a polearm from Hellfire ramparts that was already better. So we just got a lot of disenchanted shards, and lots of bijous and coins.

I had first thought that I'd need the Zul'Gurub reputation to finally get the mageblood potion recipe for my warrior. But as it happens I got lucky the same day, and found a "cheap" (400 gold buyout) recipe for major mageblood potion in the auction house. Previously I had seen the same recipe for 600 gold bid, 1000 gold buyout, and had only bid on it, only to have it bought out shortly afterwards. No more need for Zul'Gurub reputation for me now.

Next stop is Molten Core, where I will go with my level 70 priest. My warrior was so rarely in MC that I wouldn't have a point for comparison. And I want to see the effect of Mass Dispel on Lucifron, and other dispel-heavy encounters there. I think these occasional visits to "old" level 60 raid dungeons go a long way to raise the spirits in a guild, especially when not everybody is happy with how Karazhan raids are going. Imagine that, Molten Core as a kind of picnic, a party among friends to have some fun together, instead of seriously being at the top of the raiding circuit.
Comments:
How many people do you think you need to clean up ZG? (at lvl 70)

The Shoulder Enchant is still nice and if you can clean lots of Trash fast, you get a lot of Bijoux and Coins to turn in.

Same goes for the Leg Enchant from Madokir and Jin'do.

hmm, have to try it someday with some Guildies, as it sounds like fun.
 
We started with only 8 people, until more came online, and even with 8 there wasn't much of a problem with the trash. I think with 10 level 70 you can kill all the priests.
 
Madokir was doable with 5 well-geared people at level 60, so he shouldn't be too hard to do now.
 
Must've been nostalgia night last night, I was in UBRS helping someone get their Drakefire Amulet!
 
My question is... how much of it is soloable/ pair-able at level 70?

I'd love to see my mage alt breeze through ZG by killing things for rep.
 
We headed to ZG with our guild last week. The loot was generally sharded and just when someone said "nah, there isn't any loot I'd like to get in ZG", the Epic Raptor drops! Ofcourse we all rolled greed (sadly I didn't get it).
 
My guild runs "old" content every friday. Its a great time, and we generally follow the "no CC" rule to keep things moving and somewhat challenging. Running MC this friday, to get some alts their first epics :) We usually start with 5-10 people, and end up filling the raid because everyone seems to like revisiting the places they spent hours wiping, and just owning.
 
Sounds like fun!

I've avoided going back to old content because anytime I'm on there could be mount money to earn or some faction rep to gain.

But as you've said a L70 killing a 70 mob is just as hard as a L60 killing a 60 mob. 10 new levels and I feel as "weak" as I ever have.

Even if I can't find a group to do something, maybe I can go solo a higher instance than I could before.

I remember seeing a video of a priest soloing Scholomance at 60. It was taken over several days and I think he switched specs a few times to get it done. The highest instance I ever did was Shadowfang Keep. :D
 
I think one reason I'm nowhere near WoW burnout yet is that I'm not constantly attacking the hardest material. I think it's fun on occasion to go tank scholo for the warlock elite mount quest, for example.

From reading your blog it *feels* like your priest gets most of the play, and it's almost always in the most advanced area your guild can reach. It's a pretty monochromatic gameplay experience. IMHO, if you quit bashing your head on Karazhan every night, and rotate the warr and the priest more frequently -- the game would seem a lot fresher.
 
Man Tob... I wish I had TBC so I could go back and punish all the ZG bosses as well.. I've taken more than my fair share of beatings in there during my day.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool