Tobold's Blog
Monday, May 21, 2007
 
Advances in travelling

I'm in the USA again for the week. Another business trip to the same place as always. After half a dozen trips it begins to feel more like a realy looooong commute, and less than a big voyage. Still a couple of things were different than usual, so I'm blogging them. Nothing game related, so you might want to skip this. :)

What's the first thing you do when coming out of bankruptcy? You buy yourself a fancy home-entertainment system. At least that seems what Delta has done. I love it, they now have a video on demand in-flight entertainment system, loaded with lots of different movies, plus TV series, plus a special HBO TV series section. The whole thing is Linux based, as I learned when the computer decided to reboot in the middle of a movie. Good to know that this doesn't only happen to Windows. Besides films there is music and games. Even on a long transatlantic flight you don't have the time to see it all, there is so much stuff.

I don't remember whether I've ever done this trip on a Sunday before, usually I go on a Monday. Apart from losing one day of my weekend, it turned out that the planes are fuller on Sundays. I got stuck one hour in a huge queue at immigrations and arrived at the gate of my connecting flight just in time for boarding. And it isn't even Memorial Day yet! (At which time I plan to be safely back home)

The last change over previous trips was that I had finally gotten around to organizing myself an Avis Preferred card. Not that I get any frequent driver miles from that or anything, but it makes getting your pre-reserved car a lot easier. Before I always had to go to the Avis counter and have somebody typing all my personal data into a computer, where for some reason the data weren't even stored, so I had to do it all over again on the next trip. With the Avis Preferred card you don't even have to go to the counter, your name is displayed on a board showing where your car is, and the keys and contract are in the car. I just needed to show my driving license to the guard at the gate, and I was on the road. Practical.

I haven't gotten around to do any shopping yet, except for a bottle of water at a supermarket. But I plan to take full advantage of the dollar nowadays being worth about as much as the Turkish Lira (okay, okay, I exaggerated there), and buying stuff on the cheap at this very favorable exchange rate. At its height in 2000 a dollar bought you 1.20 Euro, now less than 75 Euro cents. As my salary is paid in Euros, my purchasing power in dollar terms has increased by 60% just from the fall of the dollar. I was just reading how world poverty has decreased in the last decade, with poverty being defined as "less than $1 per day". Made me wonder how much of that decrease in poverty was due to $1 being not worth as much as before any more.
Comments:
Just curious. What foods do you eat here that aren't as readily available in the UK?

Not talking about American fastfood, of course, which is reason enough for the world to hate us )

Oh, and I'm guessing you're on the East coast, which rules out some of the more interesting choices.
 
It's about time the airlines provided on-demand movies, especially for long-distance flights. Although that's actually a business class thing that economy are finally getting; the ability to watch a movie of your choice, when you want to watch it.
 
I don't think Tobold lives in the UK...my guess he is an american living in France.
 
Bad guess, Osbon. Zero out of two points. I'm a German living in Belgium. :)

The food I eat in the US that isn't readily available in Europe is the American kind of steak. Steaks taste much better here, due to the use of hormones in raising cattle. Europeans are notoriously fickly with what they allow their food to contain, so not only don't we get anything genetically modified, we also don't get hormones in our meat. Which might be better for the health, although nothing is scientifically proven, but ends up with us getting unnecessarily tough steaks all the time.
 
My guess was a Belgian gamer.

I am curious to know how much a Saitek x52 joystick and throttle combo would be in the US. its about £90 - £100 over in the UK and was thinking of getting one shipped from the US.
 
Tobold replies while im writing!
 
Tobold, if you ever travel to the gulf coast, you should give Cajun a try.
 
Oh great now I'm hungry for steak!

Well if you ever come near Chicago send an email we are known for our steaks... extremely expensive ones :) Chicago used to have a huge stockyards and butchery here due to being the hub of all the railroads. Now we just have organized crime.
 
Now we just have organized crime.

And, apparently, a lot of illegal aliens, which is kind of the same thing, I guess.

In any case, enjoy your visit Tobold.
 
http://www.josephinestcafe.com/

Just in case you ever get to San Antonio.
 
If he comes to Chicago, I'm taking him out for some serious deep-dish pizza. Steak is steak, but a pizza...ah, divine!
 
Oh, and it's a double-edged sword for the tourist industry overseas from an American's viewpoint. I've passed over Western Europe for the East because I get plenty of Crowns for my Dollars...and Budvar is divine. Pity that won't last long..here comes the EU.

I'm going the other way this summer to Japan. The Yen isn't that bad, although Tokyo prices should still be rather high. I won't find Praha-like bargins...heh.
 
I had the chance to try a Deep Dish Chicago-style pizza when I was in the Windy City a few years ago, and the crust was uniquely different from any pizza I've ever had before. I can normally devour almost an entire medium-sized (12") pizza by myself, I was able to get down quarter of a large-sized pizza from Numero Uno and I was stuffed. I've heard pizzas referred to as pies before, but a Chicago Deep Dish is the only pizza that deserves that title.

Tobold, schedule a lay-over in Chicago and take Oz up on his offer; You won't regret it.
 
Hehhee, we just had Uno's for a lunch meeting.

The secret ingredient is corn meal.

>>another Chicago reader<<
 
My mouth is watering now! Stop it, you guys!!

Rosbeef
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool