Tobold's Blog
Friday, May 11, 2007
 
LotRO Journal - 11-May-2007

I spent most of yesterday evening with my minstrel in the Barrow Downs. I found a spot far away from the entrance where there was a decent number of barghests, and got both the first barghest-killer title, and a couple of clean barghest tails for my guardian smith. This also turned out to be profitable, I had less than 10 silver repair cost but got over 60 silver in loot. This repair-cost reducing patch really improved things, at least as long as you don't die. XP for killing level 15ish barghests at my level 19 are low, but I made good XP and loot from completing the Bone Man quest with the help of some strangers.

While I didn't have time to level my guardian, he is still level 13, I got all the clean barghest tails that my minstrel collected, plus some from the auction house, and started making master armor. Using every last tail I had I just managed to make a complete set of master level 15 heavy armor, with really awesome stats for that level. Now I'm looking forward to hitting level 15 this weekend and being able to wear the stuff. I don't know if this sort of armor would be possible to make without a higher level alt, or worth making it if you only had one character. I'll outgrow it quickly. But with several alts the situation changes. Crafted armor doesn't bind when equipped, so having a set of the best possible level 15 armor available means that I'll be able to use this same set on every heavy armor wearing alt I'll make.

Making alts in LotRO is generally a good idea, especially if you are crafting. So looking at the materials and recipes I tend to find, I noticed that I could use a scholar alt. And I am kind of interested in the captain class, because I always find the human pet banner bearer running behind them so silly, and wonder whether those are useful. So I made a captain, a human, because that is the only race that can play that class.

Being a bit lazy and in a hurry, I started a silly experiment: I tried to get him through the newbie zone doing just the "introduction" quest line, and none of the side-quests. Interesting experiment, which ended up in total failure and me deleting my captain and making a new one. If you only do the main quest line you only have level 4 for the final quest instance to leave the newbie zone, and no good weapon or equipment. So I died three times in the instance, was unable to kill the signature level 5 boss at the end, and gave up. First character ever that wouldn't even the "the Wary" title for reaching level 5 without dieing, so I preferred to start over.
Comments:
Do I take it that you also need Blackened Barghest Ear for mastery or have I missed something here :)?
 
The ears are for weapon smithing, the tails for armor smithing.
 
Shame on you Tobold ;). Turbine go to the trouble of building interdependence into the crafting system in order to stimulate the ingame economy and you are promoting the use of alts to get around this. Buy your materials from the AH like a good consumer and keep the rest of us in business!!! Isn't there a fairly hefty fee for posting materials? Does it still make sense to "grow your own" with an alt even allowing for this fee?

On the subject of repair costs - has any one else noticed that stuff degrades very slowly in this game if you don't get killed? A lot of the time I don't bothe rreapiring stuff I will usually find somethign better before it wears out. My own rule of thhumb is that if it has more than 25 durability left it doesn't need repairing.
 
The armor is still pretty good for awhile. One of the few useful recipes that stay useful for more than 2 levels. My guardian Yunkor is wearing it, it really makes a difference at 15.

Though ack someone should have told you not to make the helmet, the lvl 15 guardian quest reward helmet is better.
 
I didn't like that "...the Wary" title. My Hobbit Minstrel did make it to lvl 5 w/o dying but it was not because I'd behaved in a wary fashion. I almost died to that named Pig you have to kill for a quest around lvl 4 or 5. I had not shied away from any fights so I refused to be known as Bilimac the Wary, instead I became Bilimac of the Fallohides.
 
Crafted armor doesn't bind on use? Ouch! That means *everyone* only needs one set to continually hand-me-down. That'll kill lowbie crafting dead.
 
How much of a disadvantage will non-crafters be in? I hate crafting and will just sell whatever wood and ore that I harvest.

Will that earn me enough cash?
 
I have a minstrel that is an explorer, and I put all of my collected materials up for auction, it actually pays pretty well since the only out of pocket expense is repairing your tools and the deposit for posting an auction. As far as getting gear is concerned and later game content I don't really see a problem there since most of the gear I have are from quests and surely with all the cash you make from selling all your resources you could afford the occasional upgrade here and there as needed.
 
Hey Tobold, long time reader here. I came here often for info about wow, loved reading your ideas etc. You talking about LOTR promted me, my wife, my brother, and a few guildies to try the trial, but its just not for us. I know this is not a WoW blog, but I really do miss hearing about others opinions and experiences with it. So I was wondering through your links and ties you have made over the years if you could post a list of links to other bloggers whose focus is still on WoW. Thanks

Shamlock, Eldre Thalas
 
So I was wondering through your links and ties you have made over the years if you could post a list of links to other bloggers whose focus is still on WoW.

Except for WoWInsider, which isn't really a blog, I can't actually think of a WoW focused blog right now. Most blogs I read are general MMORPG, and many switched to other games than WoW.
 
@Shamlock if you really need a WOW only blog then I guess Google is your friend but don't expect to get the thoughtful mix of commentary and insight that Tobold provides. You see I don't think Tobold ever was just a WOW blog. I quit WOW over a year ago and I have still remained an avid reader of Tobie for the quality of his insights on mmorpgs in general and for the always entertaining comments from his readers. Tobold - before you get a big head I don't always agree with your opinions - but I do always enjoy reading your views.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool