Tobold's Blog
Friday, August 10, 2007
 
Two accounts, one game

I used to pay for two World of Warcraft accounts, but the second one was for my wife, and that one is actually still active, because she is still playing. Having two accounts was useful for transferring goods from Horde to Alliance via the neutral auction house (can't do that with just one account, you can't buy from yourself). And one day I used the two accounts to unlock the Dire Maul door with one of my characters who had the key, put a character from the second account inside, and then used him to open the door with the lever for another character from the first account, who didn't have the key. But apart from that I barely ever touched the second account. There isn't much of a point in having two WoW accounts for yourself, unless you try to powerlevel yourself with dual-boxing.

I also had two accounts for Star Wars Galaxies. In that case the second account was for myself. I tried to get my wife to play it, she tried it, but didn't bite. But in SWG having more than one account for yourself was useful. For starters you weren't allowed to have alts, only one character per account. And then you could only place a limited number of structures like harvesters and factories with each character. So if you paid for two accounts, you doubled your economic output. EVE Online has a system in which skills are learned in real time, but only one character per account can do so. Again having more than one account could be an advantage.

One game of the future where I could imagine having more than one account would be Pirates of the Burning Sea, after reading that you are limited to 10 production buildings per account. That won't help with leveling up my character, but I would have twice the economic power, and could integrate larger chains of production, maybe even have most of the parts together to build ships.

Now some people already consider one monthly fee to be too much, and would never pay two of them. A second account for the same game always has diminishing returns, you don't get twice the fun out of two accounts. But even $30 per month is still less than some people pay for cigarettes. Not that I would want to pay for 40 accounts. But two accounts is something I can afford and what, depending on the game, I might still consider useful. What do you think?
Comments:
I often have 2 accounts for games. I currently have 2 wow accounts because I have two pcs setup in my room so it's nice to let my friends play too. For this reason we normally get 2 of every mmorpg but when they're not there, I basically have 2 accounts to myself.

It's very helpful in some games and not so in others. Having 2 houses in Ultima was nice, as was the increased production in SWG. In wow I can use my lvl70 run the other account round instances and twink them out. A lot of possibilities for sure.
 
It seems to me that some games (SWG was a good example) deliberately allow big advantages to players with multiple accounts which seems to be kind of sleazy to me, especially when they don't either officially endorse or shun multiple accounts. They just act like it doesn't happen and silently accept the extra revenue.

I love games where the players need to interact/trade/help with each other, but in those games, a year after launch, the interdependence disappears because most players have multiple accounts.
 
I don't know... In wow, I think I'd end up in too many implusive spastic blow outs with the opposite faction after getting gank'd on an escourt quest or what ever. It's bad enough on the forums.

The temptation to have an ally and horde character on the same server would prove to be too much. I'm already thinking how I could be in BG with both characters, relaying plans to the other faction, "ok we're heading to the LM, there's no one at the Farm right now"
 
I had 2 accounts in SWG so I could have an alt (I didn't want to lose my Master Tailor - how sad is that?). Haven't done that in any other MMO.

I wouldn't do it for production reasons unless I felt I had to. That is, I would use one account's production capacity and only get a second account for that reason if only having one account became frustrating or problematic.
 
I don't know... In wow, I think I'd end up in too many implusive spastic blow outs with the opposite faction after getting gank'd on an escourt quest or what ever. It's bad enough on the forums.

The temptation to have an ally and horde character on the same server would prove to be too much. I'm already thinking how I could be in BG with both characters, relaying plans to the other faction, "ok we're heading to the LM, there's no one at the Farm right now"


Before I quit WoW, there wa one guy in my guild who had a level 70 Rogue on both horde and alliance, and he raided on both in server side top end guilds. That is the extreme of the situation, but it wasn't unusual for him to log over to hunt down a particularly mouthy spammer or disrespectful person, just to teach tem a lesson.

Also, his name was exactly the same but his horde rogue has a ' over the i.
 
Duel accounts certainly seems very useful in EVE, and I'm considering it myself, especially since skills increase even when you are offline.
 
I have 5 accounts in Eve and that is nothing unusual at all. With the long training times and multitude of skills, people make alts that can just concentrate on one aspect of the game and specialize in the skills as much as possible.

If you couldn't pay for the accounts with in-game money, I'd only have 1 account though. I'm not spending any rl money to play Eve, which is very nice indeed.
 
I don't know if it's a philosophy or something but I really dislike feeling that I need another account or a whole set of alts to support my main. I used to play DaoC where it was very very common to have a second buffbot account and it kind of bugged me. Plus it was almost a hidden extra cost because you HAD to have a second account to be able to keep up in PvP. I like the sound of PotBC but if everyone gets extra accounts, I won't play because why play when the odds are stacked so hard against you?

I really want to just play characters because I like them and find them fun to play. Not because they are craftbots or utility alts, if that makes sense.
 
DAoC it was nice having a buff-bot, but it was also fun running dual pally's or a friar/smite cleric, or whatever in PvE.

Never saw the need for two accts. in WoW, so never did it there.

In EVE if you want to experience other fields/professions, you pretty much MUST have multiple accounts, since you cannot train more than one character at a time per account (ugh). (If that were in WoW, say, you wouldn't be able to start another character until you hit lvl-70 with your first "main" character).

That being said, I do run a mining/hauler pair and a Mission running assault/salvager pair. The final pair I'm not sure what I'm going to do with.
 
i used to have 2 extra accounts in ff, just so i could hawk stuff on other AHs. some things sold better in windy or bastok. plus i'd collect stacks of like everything but didnt have the room to store them all.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool