Tobold's Blog
Thursday, October 04, 2007
 
Station Access

I'm thinking about whether I should get a SOE Station Access subscription next year. I am already paying for an EQ2 subscription, and I will buy Pirates of the Burning Sea, which would be a second SOE subscription once the free month runs out. The Station Access would be the same price as two game subscriptions, and would allow me to access all the other SOE games as well. I could have a trip down memory lane to the original Everquest, I could see how SWG plays now post-NGE, or I could even see if Vanguard improved since release. I would even get some stuff for the "collectible" SOE games, like Star Chamber.

But of course there are also good reasons not to pay for a Station Access. There has been lots of controversy (link leads to MMOG Nation, which then links to everybody else) on the price increase of the Station Access to $30 earlier this year. I would need to play more than two SOE games to profit. Half a year of Station Access costs as much as a LotRO lifetime subscription. Do I really want to play a bunch of outdated old games like EQ or SWG?

In the end it all comes down to the question of how many MMORPGs you can play at the same time. I have a lifetime subscription to LotRO, a regular subscription to EQ2, and I'm in 3 different betas (actually 4, but I didn't even download the new client for the 4th yet). But in the last month I basically only played one of those betas, with which I have a love/hate relationship. It draws me in every night because of the extraordinary gameplay, leaves me unsatisfied because of the lack of polish, and then I can't even rant about it on my blog due to the NDA. When I get fed up or the server is down, I play a bit of EQ2, but I'm still only level 18 there. I might be better off with just one single subscription plus the LotRO lifetime fallback option.

What do you think?
Comments:
SWG is an 'elder' MMO and has a ton of content and mature systems (space flight, crafting, player housing/cities) compared to newer MMO's.

I am in the same boat, as you though. I will get Pirates, so I may as well get Stations, as I will have 2 at that point. Wonder if the Agency will be a part of it too.
 
I looked at Station Access a while back when there were rumblings about The Agency and SOE got the PotBS gig, and came to pretty much the same conclusion: it might make sense if they had a wider range of games of different depths/genres, but as it is, you might as well just cancel one sub and open another one as you go through games.
 
I just dont think I can play that many MMO's to be honest. The only time I did was when I left WoW, and I really didn't find others to be fun except EQ2. I dont really care for the Matrix Online, I would probably have to split time between EQ2, VG and Pirates. There just isnt enough time to take them all seriously. Maybe if I ever step back from gaming so much I would consider this option. It is a hell of a deal though I think. I say go for it.
 
I have the lifetime for LotRO and subs to EQ2 and WoW currently. I really don't have time for all 3, I keep the EQ2 one because I love the game and don't want to leave it entirely, even though right now I rarely play. (Of course, I only play WoW during my standing group night anyway).

There are a few 'bennies' to station access besides access to all games -- the adventure packs are included for free, and you get two additional character slots. Not huge, but if you have altitis the latter is nice.

I've taken it for the extra slots, then dropped it when they raised the costs. I may take it again though when Pirates comes out, as I'm a lot more likely to pick up the game that way then otherwise.
 
Deep down I've always known that the Station Pass/Station Access was not a great idea. For games that generate their revenue off of monthly fees, to give such discounts is an invitation to disaster. How do they determine which games get which portions of the money for running and funding their game? Do the new games get the most? Is it based on play time? Are some games just left to rot?
 
Subscription based gaming is taking off not just in the MMO world. http://www.stardock.com is another example with traditional games. If there was no advantage for both the Pub and the Dev, I'd imagine they would not do it.
 
I've only been able to play one MMO at a time. And when I play them I go all out to conquer it all. I suppose I do that to get my money worth. I hate playing the same as other but experiencing less by playing less. Of course this causes me to burn thru and eventually leave the game if I outgrow the content. oh well. So for your answer, maybe if it is only a few dollars more then it is worth it I suppose. I'm enjoying my MMOG free life right now. TR didn't appeal to me and I'll prob skip pirates too. AoC & WAR will be enough for me but right now I got tired of the slow drip news on both games so I even quit reading about them.
 
If you play more than 1 mmo at a time, it says alot about how well those MMO's attach your interest.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool