Tobold's Blog
Friday, October 17, 2008
 
This WAR announcement is real

While I was making fun of Mythic with my fake "WAR light" announcement, Mark Jacobs posted the State of the Game, with some real improvements. It's long, so I limit my discussion to three central points:

"In December, the Black Guard and the Knight of the Blazing Sun will officially be part of WAR". Good! I'm not going overboard with praise here, because removing a feature just before release, and then delivering it later shouldn't earn you extra credit (Blizzard likes to do the same thing). But adding the two missing tank classes to the game is important. Some content, e.g. public quests, has been designed with tanks in mind, and Empire and Dark Elves not having any of those was sometimes a bother. Yes, you can fly to other zones, but that didn't happen often enough to solve the tank shortage for those races. Now things should slowly balance out.

"We will continue to enhance WAR’s mail system until it is one of the best mail systems found in any MMORPG." Translation: "We'll improve the mail system until it isn't any more the worst part of WAR, and isn't totally sub par to anything else found on the market any more." Mail improvements are sorely needed, and of course Mark has to put a positive spin on it. But before it becomes "one of the best mqil systems found in any MMORPG", the WAR mail needs several years of work.

"We will also be giving players more incentive to engage in open RvR by improving the rewards for both assaulting and defending in RvR." Good, but could we get the same improvement of rewards for public quests, please? This is an important first step to get people away from instanced scenarios and into the open world, but I wouldn't limit the incentives to just RvR.

So the announced WAR patch 1.1 promises some good improvements, very well targeted to combat the current weaknesses of the game. Kudos to Mythic for knowing what to focus on. In comparison, while I did like WoW patch 3.0.2, the WoW patch felt like a huge bag of goodies with something for everyone, and very little focus. But hey, of course WoW is at a very different step in its life cycle, and the differences are understandable.
Comments:
I think they're already starting to give PvE incentives with the additional quest chains, repeatable quests, lairs, ToK unlocks and general XP enhancements.

If they wanted to go any further, I'd suggest they adjust XP or add enough quests so that you can actually go from one tier to another without exhausting all the quests across all pairings. I'd like to see them make it so we never have to leave a pairing to get into the next tier.

This leaves a lot more room for new alts.
 
It's gonna be funny to see the entire Tier 1 zone filled with Knights of the BS.
I don't really understand the Knights role description of "hanging back from the fray and giving orders," but I'm curious to see it in action. I guess it's basically a tank with lots of area buffs and debuffs. Maybe he will have something like a WOW hunter's target arrow, to direct group fire on a target. A Knight who knows what he's doing could make a big difference.
 
The timing of this is hardly coincidental. One month after launch also means when people are deciding whether to resubscribe or not. I'm pleased to say I am resubscribing (the first time to an MMO since mid-2005 when I quit WoW), and this statement isn't even why. It is enough to give me hope that I might subscribe for a few more months, too.
 
I was thinking the same thing about the mail system. I don't care if they have the best mail system in an MMO, I want them to not have the worst one, by a large margin. Why does it take 15 seconds to open a single piece of mail? Haven't MMOs had mail systems before? Hasn't Mythic made an MMO before? It is baffling.
 
there are two addons: "letter opener" and "bulk mail" that make the insufferable mail system... sufferable... until they finally get around to fixing it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool