Tobold's Blog
Thursday, June 28, 2018
 
Pokemon Quest iOS

Pokemon Quest is now out on iOS and Android, after its debut on the Nintendo Switch. The first thing I wanted to do, of course, was load the save game with the progress I made on the Switch into the game on my iPad. Unfortunately it turns out that this isn't possible. Just like a few weeks ago when I started Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms on my iPad, after having already played it on Steam, the mobile version isn't compatible with versions on other platforms. I was okay with that for Idle Champions, because there was some fun starting over, but I'd rather have at least the choice of recovering my save game from another platform. And there are some games which can do that, via a cloud save, so it isn't a technical problem.

Somehow I suspect that it has to do with the fact that these games are Free2Play, aka accelerate-progress-by-paying-real-money. If you could keep your progress, you wouldn't be tempted to pay for that progress again. If you are forced back to the beginning, you might want to pay real money to get faster to the point you already were before.

I might end up playing the game on neither platform. Pokemon Quest is clearly much better with a touch screen, trying to play it on the TV with the JoyCon controllers for the Switch didn't work really well. But when you use the Switch as a tablet with touch screen, you run out of battery after 2-3 hours; the iPad is doing much better in that regard. But I don't really feel like starting over; which probably means I wasn't all that much into this game anyway.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool