Tobold's Blog
Monday, April 06, 2020
 
Roll20 - First Game as DM

Yesterday me and my friends played Dungeons & Dragons for nearly 6 hours on Roll20. It was my first time as a DM, and it was quite a success. The overall experience was part tabletop D&D, part computer game, and we managed to get the best of both worlds combined somehow. I have a Plus subscription to Roll20, which allows me to use dynamic lighting, and that is a great feature. Every player only sees what his character would see, given his vision and light situation. One character seeing things that the others don't see is possible, which is much harder to realize when playing around a real table.

Dragon of Icespire Peak, the Essentials Kit D&D starting adventure, is relatively simple and well suited for Roll20. [Spoiler Warning!] It consists of 14 mini-adventures (+3 expansion adventures), which the players mostly pick up from a job board. The disadvantage is that the individual adventures are a bit disjointed, but the advantage is that you can easily cut it up into separate sessions. In our session we did 3 mini-adventures, the first three the players get. Fortunately they did the shortest one first, and leveled up to level 2, which made the other 2 a lot less deadly. But all three adventures didn't have much combat, they ended having 4 combats in 3 adventures. As they didn't think of trying non-combat options, that was the hardest fight, five level 1 characters against a manticore. But with several characters having ways to heal fallen comrades, that still went well enough.

One fight they had was against a ochre jelly. Normally such a fight can be quite tricky, as the ochre jelly is immune against slashing damage, and splits up into multiple smaller monsters when split. However for this group the fight was nearly trivial, because none of them had the typical slashing weapons, like swords or axes. The paladin and monk used bludgeoning weapons, while the fighter was specialized as crossbow expert, which is piercing damage.

The non-combat content was also fun, discussions with crazy gnomish inventors, searching a temple for secret doors, and discussing the wisdom of taking a big gem from the statue of an evil dwarvish god of greed (they fortunately decided not to). They did pretty well, and didn't miss out on any treasure or information.

We didn't use video at all, and we used Discord for audio. I am not an expert on Discord, so I can't say how normal this is, but we did have several problems with sound quality. I had to twiddle with sound sensitivity at the start for a while, we had several periods of sound getting chopped by lag, and twice I lost connection to the Discord server. On the positive side, I was able to use Discord using just the speaker and microphone of my iPad, and didn't have to wear a headset for 6 hours. And from what I hear the built-in voice chat of Roll20 is even worse.

I'm looking forward to the next game in two weeks.

Labels:


Comments:
Discord is good. The problem is that so many people use it at the same time now because of the pandemic that its not performing as good as it should.

Glad you liked Roll20!
 
I know I am a minority, but I much prefer playing just like we normally play, only by Zoom plus rolz.org for dice rolling. Tried roll20 and its meh - just like you said, feels like cross between rpg and pc game, or rather board game. Also, good audio AND video is a big thing for me. So, Zoom all the way, for a cheap price we are able to simulate our tabletop experience. HOWEVER, right now we are finishing our Call of Cthulhu campaign and I can imagine, that D&D is much easier to play with all roll20 features. I am about to launch continuation of our ToA campaign and I am wondering if I should give vtt another chance.
 
On Roll20 you can buy ToA as a module for $25 and get all the maps, all the tokens, all the handouts already pre-configured. That saves a lot of time!
 
I know, thats why I am on the fence.

On the one hand, as You said, I could easily get full package with maps and tokens (and we just hit city/dungeon part, so maps would be more than welcome).

On the other, so far I had GREAT experience playing via Zoom and really mediocre one using roll20.

I am glad I have at least 2 more weeks to make decision.
 
Maybe audio/video chat by zoom, and the virtual table on Roll20?
 
I could argue, that its not a great setup for those of us who are playing on laptops. Or that vtt would take focus off roleplaying. But that would be just looking for problems instead of researching solutions:-) Will look this option up.
Overall, however, I am very pleased with playing ttrpgs online. Experience is much closer to real thing that I originally thought.
 
I would say that very much depends on whether you usually play "theatre of the mind", or you usually use battle maps and figurines. Theatre of the mind you don't really need Roll20 for.
 
Discord audio in my experience is prone to issues. It's typically been fine when on servers with small numbers of people but even then I run into issues where the audio will just randomly cut out and I have to restart Discord to get it working again.

I feel like discord is used more for its chat then voice but it seems no one uses the old services like ventrilo or teamspeak anymore.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool