Tobold's Blog
Sunday, February 06, 2022
 
Character creation and minmaxing

Among all my Kickstarter pledges, there is only a single video game that I ever backed: Solasta: Crown of the Magister. That turned out rather well: The game is good, and while on Steam it now costs $40, I got from just a $18 pledge. I'm not saying you should back lots of video games on Kickstarter, they have a much higher failure rate than board games; but in this case, I am happy I did it. So I played the beta of Solasta last year. And then I left it unplayed for like 10 months, waiting for full release and additional content. Since then the sorcerer class was added, and I also bought the DLC that adds the barbarian and druid classes. I also noticed that there are now additional adventures available, besides the main campaign. Time for a new playthrough!

Now I remembered that in a previous run I was a bit miffed that due to certain character creation choices I had made, I didn't have access to certain crafting skills. To avoid that, I looked up Solasta character creation to make sure I choose the right options for crafting. While I didn't find a good website talking about crafting character options, I did come across a site ranking the various character classes. The site gave a rather bad "C" ranking to the barbarian class. But of course for my playthrough, I do want to play the barbarian, druid, and sorcerer, because these classes are new to me!

Now in real Dungeons & Dragons, it doesn't matter if you don't have the most optimized class and build. A good DM will always adjust the challenge to the group composition. But in a video game, the challenges are fixed in advance, maybe modified by a chosen difficulty rating. But if for example you don't take a rogue or other character with lockpicking skills and you come across a locked chest or door you don't have the key for, that is on you. The game expects a certain mix of skills and abilities. You don't have to take the classic fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue party, but it is advantageous to take something similar. Fortunately the barbarian can replace a fighter, the druid a cleric, and the sorcerer a wizard, so I'm taking a rogue as 4th member and should be fine. But I might not have the best possible party, if the barbarian is really less good than a fighter or paladin. I guess I will have to live with that.

In other games, I have followed character creation advice to minmax an optimal party. In Pathfinder: Kingmaker I actually stopped playing my first campaign, because I wasn't happy with the main character I made, so I restarted with a better one. However, I am aware that this optimization and minmaxing has serious disadvantages: I reduces your options. Having more possible choices for character classes is fun, and if you exclude some of them for being suboptimal, you are reducing that fun. On the other side, if a game isn't very flexible with its challenges, you can also reduce your fun by having made bad choices during character creation and now not being able to do certain things. It's a bit of a dilemma, especially if you don't know the game yet, and don't know what will be needed.

Comments:
It's the age old distinction between "optimal" and "sufficient". There is a build which is "optimal", as in the best possible one for the job. There's an unknown number of set-ups that are "sufficient" to do the job, even if they aren't the optimal one. It's possible that number is zero, in which case every single choice in character creation is a trap. Otherwise, there are definitely builds that aren't optimal but will let you complete the game.

Of course, this is the Internet and there are plenty of people who will tell you that anything other than "optimal" is "useless". My recommendation is just to ignore those people.
 
The other side of the medal is: if any party is equivalent in term of min/maxing, why bother having different classes for the same role, since in the end they will be the same?

This is actually the way WoW went when they chose "bring the player, not the class", in this case it must be the player which matters and not the class, so for example all DPS classes must be more or less equivalent, which killed the "special" part of many of them.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool