Tobold's Blog
Monday, July 15, 2024
 
Self-adjusting difficulty

The Switch has a great feature, where you can create several profiles. That allows you to play the same game with different profiles, each having its own save games and settings, neatly separated. I have been using that to play Unicorn Overlord at tactical and expert difficulties, the two highest settings, to see which one I prefer. You can of course also change the difficulty of a running game, but I wanted to see not only the effect of difficulty on a single battle, but in the long run.

The interesting result is that on expert difficulty I play the game somewhat differently. The desired effect is that at higher difficulty I play a tighter game, taking more care to optimize. But I also noticed that I am less willing to start a battle when my army feels too weak for it, and so I use optional repeatable content to grind an extra level and feel more ready for the challenge. In the end, the difficulty is somewhat self-adjusting: The added grind makes the higher difficulty level easier again. Playing the same battle under-leveled at tactical difficulty is not so different from playing it over-leveled at expert.

In the end, I decided to continue my main game on the tactical difficulty. Raising the difficulty mostly affected the time it took me to do something, and not so much my enjoyment of the game.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool