Monday, July 20, 2026
Using AI to play complex games
I am currently playing Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Great game once you understand it, but with a huge barrier to entry from the highly complex Pathfinder ruleset. It is the Paradox of Choice turned into a videogame: A CRPG with too few choices for classes and skills would be boring, and more choice would improve the game, but at some point adding too many choices just produces overload and makes the game less fun.
So it regularly arrives that I have questions, e.g. "for companion X, what would be the best feat to choose at level Y". Back in the days, a Google search for "companion X build guide" would direct me to one of several possible websites that would have the answer for that. But over the years these websites became less and less pleasant, due to the use of search engine optimization (SEO). The useful information would be buried way down, so the reader has to scroll through a maximum of advertising.
The solution to that today is AI. I can simply type my question into Google, and get an AI answer directly, without having to follow a link. Wrath of the Righteous is already 5 years old, and reasonably popular, so there are a bunch of guides as well as discussions on Steam and Reddit available. If AI is good at anything, it is at sifting through a multitude of text sources and summarizing the answer. If I want to know the best feat for my companion, Google will now give me a list of recommended feats immediately, with some explanation of why I should choose them.
This is far from perfect. Sometimes the AI hallucinates, for example recommending me a feat that is in the Pathfinder ruleset, but not in the Wrath of the Righteous game. So sometimes I have to rephrase a question, or follow a link to double check a suspicious answer. But hey, it's for a game, not for anything professional, so I can live with a certain amount of errors. Often enough the answer is good enough on the first try, and having an answer quickly without having to read too much is an advantage in itself.
Of course that completely destroys the SEO business. If the AI gives me an answer which a game guide carefully hid way below the advertising, I am taking a shortcut and never see the advertising. Which reduces the revenue of the owner of the game guide website, and ultimately leads to there being fewer game guides available. There is a sort of poetic justice to that, that an AI algorithm ends up defeating the SEO, which was created to abuse the search algorithm.
Comments:
<< Home
‹Older
A quirk I've noticed about googles AI search results is that they apparently used a lot of reddit for its training data. This causes problems when the game has changed over time or when the AI can't tell from the context of its training data whether what it is saying is opinion or fact.
One particular example I find funny is Path of Exile 1 and 2. Since each game has its own subreddit and its players will often just call each game POE or Path of Exile its pretty common for googles ai to gove you results that correspond to one game but not the other.
I noticed this when trying to ask it about Uniques in Path of Exile 2 and it would confidently cite me Path of Exile 1 info and even tell me Uniques that aren't in 2 yet.
It's also really bad at finding you the source for things if it pulled the information from reddit directly. In example of this was me trying to find a source for a comment I had seen attributed to Jason Schreier but no matter how I tried to prompt it, even when explicitly telling it to ignore reddit it kept throwing out a reddit post which funny enough had both the original thread and most of its comments deleted.
One particular example I find funny is Path of Exile 1 and 2. Since each game has its own subreddit and its players will often just call each game POE or Path of Exile its pretty common for googles ai to gove you results that correspond to one game but not the other.
I noticed this when trying to ask it about Uniques in Path of Exile 2 and it would confidently cite me Path of Exile 1 info and even tell me Uniques that aren't in 2 yet.
It's also really bad at finding you the source for things if it pulled the information from reddit directly. In example of this was me trying to find a source for a comment I had seen attributed to Jason Schreier but no matter how I tried to prompt it, even when explicitly telling it to ignore reddit it kept throwing out a reddit post which funny enough had both the original thread and most of its comments deleted.
The AI summary can be a useful starting point but much too often, if you take the trouble to follow the links in the summary itself, from which the AI has supposedly drawn its conclusions, the linked articles or posts don't, in fact, say what the AI says they do. There's the muddling up similar acronyms as you describe but also taking two or three sentences and collating them so the meaning is substantively different.
Worst of all, I've had cases where the AI makes declarative statements of fact and provides a link for the source, but when I've checked that source it doesn't include any of the "facts" the AI has reported at all. By the time I've fact-checked the whole thing, I might as well just have used regular google search and visited the sites myself, cutting out the middleman.
Worst of all, I've had cases where the AI makes declarative statements of fact and provides a link for the source, but when I've checked that source it doesn't include any of the "facts" the AI has reported at all. By the time I've fact-checked the whole thing, I might as well just have used regular google search and visited the sites myself, cutting out the middleman.
There is another problem to the whole AI/SEO thing. Sometimes the website doesn't need you to scroll through tons of advertising and is actually helpful and gives you all the info you need right away. Nevertheless, Google steals the content and gives users the answer regardless, leading to less revenue even for good and helpful sites.
Traffic to website owners and publishers has rapidly been going downhill and Google is truly killing everyone except the biggest brands. Without monetary incentives (ad revenue from actual visits), in time this will lead to less overall websites/content, and thus shittier AI responses as well.
Enshittification of the entire internet, one website at a time, thanks to Google who does everything in their power to keep visitors on their own page.
Traffic to website owners and publishers has rapidly been going downhill and Google is truly killing everyone except the biggest brands. Without monetary incentives (ad revenue from actual visits), in time this will lead to less overall websites/content, and thus shittier AI responses as well.
Enshittification of the entire internet, one website at a time, thanks to Google who does everything in their power to keep visitors on their own page.
I've been playing another fairly complex CRPG, Divinity Original Sin 2, which has complete class-less skill freedom, through a constant dialog with Claude Sonnet 5 (medium). Rule checks, skill clarifications, quest issues, build feedback suggestions, and just generally somebody to talk to about the various highs & lows. A blessing when playing an older game and not knowing anyone else actively playing it. This is still completely free, and after a few dicey weeks of tight limits, it now again has pretty generous free use, provided you don't try to do anything more demanding than text, like image work. I don't know how good or accurate mere Google summaries are, but I can vouch that Claude is pretty good at avoiding major pitfalls and generally giving me relevant answers. I find it's more cautious than the other major engines about avoiding mistakes and admitting uncertainty. (Free) ChatGPT is good when it's right, too, but sometimes confidently goes off the rails, and if you can't tell up front, it can really derail you.
Post a Comment
<< Home


