Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
 
Beckett MOG

I got my first issue of the Beckett Massive Online Gamer magazine today. Interesting read, but not really outstanding. It has an article or two about every major MMORPG, down to and including Puzzle Pirates and MtGO, which both aren't really MMORPGs (but are massively multiplayer online games). A bit more articles on WoW than on other games, as to be expected.

Some of the articles are just promotional, the Auto Assault one was actually written by NCSoft's Senior Marketing Manager. But many games are covered in a way that at least gets you some basic information about them, if you haven't played them yet. There are some WoW leveling guides, dungeon guide, a description of one quest series, and even a auction house price list, which doesn't help you a lot, considering how much prices differ between servers.

Nothing you couldn't live without, and a bit pricey at $5.99, but I subscribed anyway, lets see how the magazine evolves. Just a bit sad that I missed the first issue, my subscription somehow started with the second one.
Comments:
Do they say anything about AoC? I understood from one of your previous replies that you are more into Warhammer than AoC. Anything they wrote made you change your mind?

In my opinon, Warhammer will come out as an improved WoW, while AoC seems to try something new (they bring parts of action games and strategy games together into a RPG). I think Warhammer will be very nice, but kind of a deja vu. AoC on the other hand seems to inovate a lot.

Could you explain why you think Warhammer is most probably the one you will be playing?
 
Yeah, AOC looks spectacular. I spent almost an hour on the games website today viewing all the different classes and fighting options and I must say, I can't wait for this game to come out. Not only are they claiming a new revolutionary fighting engine, but the game will be rated M which should help to eliminate many of the immature name callers that WOW is chock full of. I knew it was only a matter of time before someone made an MMO for adults and this game looks downright sinister. I also love all the different class options and how each soldier can specialize in either shield, dual wield, polearms ect.
Warhammer looks like it will be interesting-especially the PVP based missions- but I am not so sure that a game with absolutely no crafting options is going to go over well with the gaming community. One of the things that I love about world of warcraft is the auction house and all of the different professions that give depth to the game. An MMO without professions to me would be shallow and uninteresting after awhile which is the reason I left Guild Wars.
 
I know very little about Age of Conan. I do know that it is made by Funcom, whose previous game Anarchy Online I played and considered to be a lot less good than Mythic's Dark Age of Camelot. And I would also consider the Conan license to be weaker than the Warhammer one.

But I can only talk in probabilities, having played neither AoC nor WAR. I would say that WAR will *probably* be better than AoC, but Funcom should feel free to surprise me and make a much better game than expected.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool