Tobold's Blog
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
 
BC Journal - 7-November-2006

My undead priest in the Burning Crusade beta hit level 63. Now he needs 744 kXP to reach the next level. What helps is playing slow and using a lot of double xp rest bonus. But more interestingly, the Burning Crusade challenges my perception of what exactly a level is. I might be "leveling" twice as fast as I thought, depending on how you define it.

Now you think I'm going crazy. What would anybody need a definition of level for? It's that little number shown under your portrait on the World of Warcraft screen. But numbers are just that, numbers. The really important thing is what happens in consequence of these numbers. And you could argue the most important consequence of leveling up is learning new spell and abilities. So how many levels do you have to gain to get new spells? In "old WoW" you only got new spells every second level. In the Burning Crusade, after level 60, you get new spells every level. And that isn't just half the number of spells you'd usually get, at level 63 I got 3 spells, and looking ahead on the trainer window I see about that number or more new spells (or spell ranks) every level.

That means that while the Burning Crusade gives you only 10 levels worth of talent points and stats increases, it gives you 20 levels worth of new spells and abilities. If you previously had a tendency to disregard uneven level gains, and only counted the ones that got you new spells, you will now only get levels that really count. And the difference in xp needed from 58 to 60 compared with 60 to 61 suddenly isn't all that huge any more.

Besides leveling up, I did a couple of arena fights, the new additional PvP mode. Terribly, terribly boring. You start in a side room to a small arena, get one minute to buff up at no mana cost (all previous buffs are erased) and then the fight starts. There are no objectives other than killing the enemy players. And in all the fights I was in, all the enemy players were invisible, either rogues, druids, or night elves. Going into the arena visible is a death sentence. I have no way to detect an invisible rogue, I get backstabbed, stun-locked, and die before I can cast a single spell or do any other action. Did that three times and decided that the arena wasn't for me. Unless Blizzard changes PvP in a major way to either prevent total invisibility or total stun-lock, there is simply nothing I can do there as priest.

I don't know anything yet about arena PvP rewards. The fights I was in were just practice fights with no rewards at all. To get rewards you need an arena charter for 50 gold per team, with a team having twice as many members as needed for each fight. But this is only available at level 70, and the beta is still capped at level 67. On the good news front, while checking for PvP rewards I noticed that the latest beta patch added lots of level 70 PvP rewards for the standard battleground PvP. Curiously they were prices pretty much identical to the level 60 rewards, so you can chose whether to spend you 15000 honor and 30 battleground victory marks for a level 60 or for a level 70 sword. I guess most people will take the level 70 reward.

I got killed once by a very funny bug. In Hellfire Peninsula there is normally a level 70 mob wandering around, called a Fel Reaver. That is a huge robot-like creature, reminding me of a battlemech. He is 10 meters tall, and the earth shakes where he walks, and he makes some sort of trumpeting sound. And he kills you with a single blow. But being so huge makes him pretty hard to miss, and after dying once you learn that you'd better run when you see him. Only that since the last patch the Fel Reaver is bugged, and runs around in the shape of a normal sized black bear. So I see that black bear approaching me, am a bit confused because that zone usually doesn't have any bears, hear the trumpet and the earth shaking, and turn around to see from where the robot is approaching, and to where I can run to safety. By the time I realize there is not robot, and it is the bear who is the Fel Reaver, I'm in his large aggro radius and die.
Comments:
Had to read the first few paras twice to understand the point, but I think I do now !

How much do the "new" spells follow the usual "Oh, great another rank of Mind Blast" - or do you get a good mix of news and fun things ?

Is there any ta-da moment when suddenly a whole new ream of possibilities are opened up ? No idea about other classes, but for a shadow priest level 40 with Shadowform AND a mount was such a change. Felt like a real milestone, and have not had anything similar since.
 
Only 5 new spells for priests in the Burning Crusade, everything else is just new spell ranks.

I only got one new spell up to now, but I do like it a lot. The Shadow Word: Death is an instant damage spell, which damages myself if the target survives the spell. But it deals good damage instantly, which makes it a great way of stopping mobs that run away, something the priest didn't have yet.
 
Hmm, yes SW:D does sound fun. What about talents trees, are you finding that it offers sufficient new ability to keep you interested ?

As I approach 60, deep into shadow, I am really only topping off other things. Think you are probably holy specced, but I rather like the idea of mana regening from Vampric Touch.
 
You'll find the talent trees on the same site as the spells. But actually I'm not using very many new talents. I've divided my points between discipline and holy, not getting the top talents of either tree. One fun, lower level, new talent I have is Surge of Light, which on achieving a spell critical gives me a 50% chance to cast a free and instant Smite during the next 10 seconds.

I tried going full shadow, full holy, or full discipline (each patch resets your talents). But I wasn't really convinced about the top talents in each tree. 60% damage reduction sounds nice, but it lasts only 8 seconds. AoE healing is useless for soloing priests. The vampiric touch is cute, but the mana regeneration is only 5% of the damage.
 
"sounds nice"

Thats why I am asking :)

You can read the details all you wan't but it is not until you actually get to play with the new toys...
 
I think you underestimate the pure power of Vampiric Touch.

Look at the numbers. (paper analysis only no actual in game testing)

A level 60 shadow priest, with +250
damage, and all damage increasing shadow talents for simplicity, using only Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch, and Mind Flay, is capable of 423 damage per second. The mana cost associated with those spells averages 117 mana per second.
The mana restored with Vampiric Touch will be about 21 mana per second.
The result is essentially reducing the overall cost of those spells by 18%, which in itself is significant.

At the moment, Vampiric touch can be completely Abused by having multiple shadow priests in a group.
With 2 shadow priests the overall cost reduction for those spells will be 36%, 3 - 54%, 4 - 72%, and 5 - 91%. With 5 shadow priests using Vampiric Touch, it is a virtually endless mana pool.
5 Shadow Priests together are capable of almost indefinitely sustaining 2100 damage per second.

I am waiting to see or hear from anyone who can try this, and find out if the actual results are even close to the paper results.

I was also wondering how Shadow Word: Death scaled with gear.
 
Still, I'd really recommend trying Arenas once again, this time with a PvP-savvy friend on vent or teamspeak!

That just confirms my opinion that arenas aren't for me. Of course in the beta I only encountered random teams. As Horde / Alliance doesn't matter, I even once ended up in a team with the guy who had just killed me in the last fight. But it seems clear that as you say in the release version arenas will be dominated by well organized teams, using teamspeak etc.

Sorry, I'm still thinking like a casual player. The one thing that interests me even less than PvP in which I don't have a chance, is PvP in which I have to commit myself and organize to have a chance. No thanks, I stick to the battlegrounds, where I can play when I feel like it.
 
I think that Arenas are a great addition to the game. Who hasn't been annoyed at their PUG AB because they are fighting away from the flags (yet again) and then the other team sends one guy around and aces you? The basic fact is that players like to kill other players. Arenas are great for that--that is all there is to do. I hope they will make the objective based PvP better by providing an outlet for those who just want to kill other players.

As a priest though, you are fighting a losing battle. You will be target #1 especially if the others are invisible. This is where playing with people who have a clue helps. In PvE if the priest draws aggro, you work on strategies so that he avoids aggro. Maybe the paladin heals first then the priest. In PvP it is the same. If the priest draws the attention of the other players (aggro), how can you use that to your advantage? Maybe you keep the rogue stealthed next to you ready to pounce--I don't know. I am just saying that there are solutions.

Not really trying to convince you otherwise, but I too hated PvP for the exact situation you described. I thought it was for hardcore only. It is more casual friendly that raiding is though. Once I found a few people to play with here and there, it made all the difference. It unlocked a very enjoyable part of the game for me.
 
I would agree, PvP in arenas is much more casual player-oriented than 25 (or currently 40) person raids.

I for one am looking forward to playing in the arenas, either with my g/f in the same room in a 2v2 matchup, or with my guildies in a 5-man group. We love to PvP much more than raiding and arena-style fights have been missing from the game from a long time.

That style of play is something a lot of us miss from DAOC, if you ever played it. It was all about the organized group fights - so much more fun than zerging AV or running a massive PvE raid where no one gets any loot and you have to sit around for 6 or 7 hours killing trash mobs before you get to the one mob / single piece of loot worth getting.

Again, fighting 1v1 in an arena is pretty much the same as dueling - what's the point? You can do that outside IF or Orgrimmar just as easily as in an arena.

The idea is to play in a small team and that's the whole appeal of the concept. I don't think you can just write it off as a "hardcore gamer" phenomenon when clearly it's aimed towards smaller groups and is much more attainable to the casual player than a 25 or 40 man raid.
 
What happens if you use SW:D to finish a duel? Do you get damaged because your opponent survived the spell? What happens if you're both low on health and you use it to finish the duel? Do you both take damage and the duel is a draw?

Tobold, time to seek some help from your fellow Hordies and do some BC dueling :)
 
I can see the arguments towards it being oriented towards the "hardcore".

Ultimately, if the PvP groups have the same skill level, then it just comes down to gear, doesn't it ?

The "best" gear comes from Raiding, a lot.

Unless I am missing the point entirely, what is the attraction of going to Arena, knowing I am going to lose as I do not raid ?
 
Unless I am missing the point entirely, what is the attraction of going to Arena, knowing I am going to lose as I do not raid ?

The best PvP gear comes from PvP rewards, not from raiding. Raid gear is very good for raiding, but much less good for PvP, which needs different bonuses.
 
You'll also rarely find teams of exactly the same skill, so being gear dependent is only one aspect of it.
 
NOVEMBER 7th
 
Ooops, my bad. I'll fix it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool