Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
 
RSS feed button

After having several readers write me whether I have an RSS feed, I installed this fancy orange buttom Feed in the sidebar. This is the feed that Blogger.com is offering. But to be totally honest I am not totally sure whether that feed is "RSS" or some other feed type, and how I would even find out. I just couldn't find an orange button saying "some feed".

On my computer I installed Internet Explorer 7 a while ago, which has an orange feed button integrated in the task bar, and which is able to find the feed of any site that has one.

[EDIT]
Thanks to the helpful advice of my readers, I changed to another orange button, which doesn't say "RSS", but is apparently an accepted general feed icon.
Feed
Comments:
I can;t be sure, but it looks like blogger are using the services of feedburner. It basically takes all your feeds and wraps them into a neat little package, and real easy to choose what feed reader to use.
 
Hi Tobold,

your feed isn't RSS, but Atom, which is anyway better than RSS (lots of different formats in differen versions). Atom is an official (proposed) standard, while RSS isn't (although RSS is the old 'de facto standard' for newsfeeds).

You might find these articles useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_(standard)

As an icon for the feed, I'd suggest you to use this one, with the well-known symbol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Feed-icon.svg

Nice to see Tobold.com with feed, keep up the good work :)
 
For anyone using FireFox...
The feed can be used as livebookmark.

In practice you end up with a bookmark that has (like a folder of bookmarks) an always up to date links to every recent post (taken from the feed).

I use it since months ago (tobolds feed).

To use a livefeed just drag and drop the feed icon on the right of the url... et voila' you have an everchanging and always update bookmark to this blog posts.
 
a huge fan of www.bloglines.com myself, particularly useful for those who read lots and lots o blogs

@tachyon, lol, thats a huge arse button =D
 
I've been getting your feed in Net News Wire on a Mac for months. Highlight of my day!
 
Tobold, would it be possible to activate the Full feed (in Blogger settings for your blog, "Site feed" tab). It would make your blog easier to read for users of a RSS newsreader.

Thanks for your posts!
 
I don't *want* to activate full feed, because then people could read all I write without ever visiting this site, and they'd be completely invisible to me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool