Tobold's Blog
Friday, April 27, 2007
 
LotRO Journal - 27-April-2007

Short journal entry, because I didn't play last night, all the servers were down.

Now I know it would make a better story if I told you how incredibly surprised and outraged I was that I couldn't play. But in reality my reaction was more like "what took them so long?". The server crash is two days late. Probably delayed by the account creation page being inaccessible on release day, so it took people more time to create their accounts and overload the servers.

Of course I spent some minutes trying to enter the game repeatedly, and checking the forums. But once I realized the game was down for the night, I just wandered off, did some AH transactions in WoW, and then went to watch TV. I wonder if it's just getting used to downtimes, or whether my lifetime subscription has anything to do with it. If you consider a MMORPG to have a finite amount of content, and you already paid for all of it, it doesn't really matter so much when exactly you consume that content.
Comments:
Sounds like Codemasters is the weak sister of Turbine. Screwed up special edition, incomplete patching of the game, now this.

Nothing but smooth sailing on the U.S. servers so far, it really has been the cleanest launch in memory.
 
You are touching a nerve there Nissl, in particular as to the best of my knowledge the European version still didn't get the US patch of a week ago applied. Hope Europe won't end up as a second tier venture :)
- Sveral
 
I sank some ships in Silent Hunter 4 - well, at least I tried to sink ships. All I actually managed was to hurt their feelings a bit, I still have lots to learn in that game then!

Anyway, once I had my share of old salty sea dog tales I noticed the server was up. Jumped in and went in search of Journeyman level Scholar collection nodes for an hour and in the process made 175 silver from loot taking me to over 1 gold (@lvl 24).

Which was nice.

Anyway I think it's unrealistic to expect no problems at all with servers. The software and hardware installations are far more complicated than MMOGs of the past and with CM not being the developers of the game I'm assuming that their knowledge of running the servers is third hand from Turbine in the states. Hopefully as the gaps in knowledge are filled everything will smooth out...hope springs eternal ;)

Anyway, you can have too much of a good thing so an enforced night of is good for us :D
 
I was wondering what downtime you were talking about until I realized that you play on the Euro servers. Don't really want to gloat but the US servers were up. ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool