Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
 
Failure to launch

I received a beta invite for a game whose NDA doesn't allow me to mention its name. So I follow the instructions and download the 3 GB beta client and install it. But the game uses a launcher and that launcher is apparently broken, and all I get is a "Please report this crash to Microsoft" error window. And another game from the same company I installed recently now isn't working any more either, because the launcher is broken. Grrrr!

So I uninstall both games and try to reinstall. "Can't reinstall because you already have a newer version of the launcher installed". Hey, I deleted that one too! So now I have to open the registry editor and manually remove all references to games and launchers from that company. Once the computer is completely cleaned up of all previous traces, I install again. But no luck, the launcher is still doing nothing but crashing.

So I head over to the game's beta forums. No messages on that at all, "Please log in". I follow the instruction on how to register a message board account with my beta game login, but only get another error message that they don't recognize my account. Back to the account creation page I verify my userid and password, even reset the password, but the beta forum doesn't budge. Well, that explains the lack of messages on it.

Needless to say that up to now I'm not terribly impressed with this new game. But if I ever get it to run, and the NDA is dropped one day, I'll write a review on it.
Comments:
Sound more like alpha then beta to me.

Guess we know now why you aren't allowed to mention the name the game :D
 
Curse you and your intrigue, sir!

However, we have had our finest minds at work around the clock, trying to decipher your post and pick out the slightest bit of information, and they have come to the conclusion that you can only be playing...

Coral Reef Online: Zooxanthellae Adventures.

What?! Why, you stupid finest minds!
 
I suspect I've been invited to the same Beta as the size and login method sounds similar. Could be wrong though! If it is, I've had no such issues :|
 
bit daft when it's a beta you cannot say the name :p

but with that many problems alreday before even starting it isn't a good sign. some things are just mandatory to work fine imho.
 
I pray to God you're not trying out American Idol Online. :)

That being said, have you been playing Dungeon Runners recently? I've been trying to grab the client, but it's been hell to download because it keeps timing out on me.
 
I just had to uninstall Dungeon Runners. It's launcher colided with a certain unnamed beta. ;)
 
That sounds like the beta for Anarchy Online, way back when... man, that was a complete train wreck for me. Had to re-install the OS.
 
o.O the plot thickens....

Dungeon Runners is from NCSoft.

launcher collide.
 
Hrmmmm, could they be developing an expansion for Dungeon Runners already or a 2? After all, it just offically went live less than 1 month ago so they need to start on something else :)
 
My guess is Tabula Rasa or Aion :)
 
Just to muddy the waters a bit (and protect Tobie from getting done for breaching the NDA) I am going to plump for "Club Penguin 2: The Rise of The Snowman"
 
I'll go with Tabula Rasa or Aion as well for 100 Alex... or more likely than Aion, Exteel.
 
My guess is My Little Puppies and Pwnies, the new fighting MMO marketed to girls, because as we found out a few days ago, SOE execs say girls like puppies and ponies.
 
My Little Puppies and Pwnies

Damn it, Yunk! I just had to clean coffee off my monitor! Thank Orion it's 6:30am and nobody else is in the office yet. My Little Puppies and Pwnies. Nice one ;)
 
I'm not playing LOTR for a similar reason. I preordered, installed and when I tried to setup my account got a "Your preorder key is already in use. Please return to the purchase location and obtain another key" sort of message. Since the key was in a shrink wrapped package this was extremely annoying, but not necessarily a deal breaker in and of itself. However, when I went to the website to see if anyone else was having the same problem I found the site and the customer service options in particular so labyrinthine that I canceled my preorder. I'm no longer going to support obvious incompetence on the chance that things will get better sometime in the future.
 
NC Soft, hm?

I'm going with the latest expansion to the City of Heroes / City of Villains franchise: City of Pedestrians

Abilities include:
- Flee in Terror
- Cower
- Flail
- Swing Purse
- Say witty things about passing superheroes, like 'For someone who flies into walls constantly, *hero name* has fairly straight teeth.'

*sage nod*
 
Gah! Submitted before posting the rest ...

Well, whichever company / game it is, I'd be concerned about launch conflicts. I tend to go along with anonymous above: a new game conflicting with an old game I like will be returning to the store.
 
Problem solved, and it wasn't the launcher's fault after all. It was all the fault of Bill Gates.
 
completely on topic.. is Anarchy online any good these days? It always looked neat but i never had the patience to learn what the heck was going on with all the stats etc in game.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool