Tobold's Blog
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
 
Golfing stories

I played a very nice 9-hole round of golf in Shot Online last night. Well, actually it went pretty much perfectly for the first 6 holes, me being one under par in total. Then on the 7th hole on approaching the green my ball lands badly on a very steep slope. I get into trouble trying to play the ball onto the green, it landing far shorter than I thought it would. Then I get nervous and blow the putting, and end up with a double bogey, two over par for the hole, one over par for the round. I play par on the 8th hole, but then produce a bogey on the 9th, and end up with a score of two over par for the whole round. Better than usual, but after the excellent start the finish was a bit of a letdown.

So instead of playing another round, I decide to follow my readers' advice and download and install Albatross 18, another online golf game. I haven't had time to play more than the tutorial. But from a gameplay point of view it seems to be pretty much identical to Shot Online, with just some minor differences in the details. The principle is still the same, you play golf, gain money and experience, raise your skills, buy items to improve your game, and you can advance faster if you spend real world money to buy buffs. The graphical style is very different, being more colorful and cheery, with avatars all looking like little kids and special effects like the rewards for a good hole jumping as coins out of the hole. I'll play it a bit more, but I guess I'll stick to Shot Online.
Comments:
play wii golf :p
 
Very tempting to play a golf game on-line. Just wondering about the behaviour of other players? Do people quit as soon as you look like winning?
Do you get verbal abuse (eg 'hah noob my shot pwns you again, you gay loser etc etc')?
How easy is it to join a game? How long does a round take? Do people say 'dinner is ready, gotta go kkthxbye' on the approach to the 13th hole?
More info, please.
 
I mentioned alb18 in the comment earlier, thanks for posting your thoughts on it. I still haven't been able to find time to download either game, but have been reading all I can. I think shot online is going to be the better game for a mature audience. The community is apparently very mature and respectful there. The kiddies are migrating more towards alb18 for aesthetic reasons.

I also get the impression that you can get everything in shot online without paying, will just take a lot of time to grind the cash. However I'm not sure you can get everything in alb18 without paying. I can't wait to get started. This could be the most addictive thing ever.
 
I've played Albatross18 and found it to be a lot of fun. Games can be very quick, with lots of 3 hole games available if you just have a few minutes available. You can set how long you have to take the shot, if I remember correctly 40 secs is the norm, but any value can be set by who has created the round. In this mode you see the other players and can see how they set up their shots.

Tournament games are also available, these are 18 hole rounds, but in these you do not directly play against others, you can see how well others are playing on a scoreboard in relation to you but you do not see them taking their shots, I think the top 3 earn quite a lot of xp and you also gain xp if you beat your personal best, very well done and fast for an 18 holer :)

I found the attitude of a lot of the players to be very mature, plenty of congratulating if you make a good shot :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

  Powered by Blogger   Free Page Rank Tool